Ryk

Default engine question

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:08:50 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Ryk wrote:

I'm in a similar sort of situation, but with a functioning A-4. Try as
I might, I really can't see a way to amortize the diesel replacement
unless one is covering a lot of distance under power.

I don't know how you put a price on it, but if something screws and the
gasoline goes BANG, what price does that carry?

If you have guests on board when it happens, what is the cost of
litigation to settle the claims?

Just curious, what is the increase in insurance premium of having a
gasoline power plant over a diesel engine.

My son's Newport 27 with A-4 is insured for $2M liability as a rider
on my household policy for a total of about $70 / year, so the gas
soline differential must be some fraction of that.

An awful lot of A-4s have logged an awful lot of hours without much
carnage. How do you feel about propane?

Ryk
Lew Hodgett

Ryk wrote:

How do you feel about propane?

Never thought about it as a motive power fuel.

Lew

Larry

Ryk wrote in
:

My son's Newport 27 with A-4 is insured for $2M liability as a rider

What's the boat insurance difference A-4 to a diesel on a Newport 27?
Liability doesn't cover the boat exploding, right?

Ryk

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:31:35 -0500, Larry wrote:

Ryk wrote in
:

My son's Newport 27 with A-4 is insured for $2M liability as a rider

What's the boat insurance difference A-4 to a diesel on a Newport 27?

Less than $70 per year

Liability doesn't cover the boat exploding, right?

It covers our obligations to anybody who is injured. The loss of the
boat would be small potatoes.

Ryk
Ryk

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 05:35:44 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Ryk wrote:

How do you feel about propane?

Never thought about it as a motive power fuel.

It doesn't matter why you have it on board, just whether there's a
leak that has filled your bilge with an explosive mixture.

One of the advantages of gasoline is that we are all so wary of it.
Those of us with some sense run blowers and sniff carefully for the
scent because a few bozos do spectacularly stupid things.

Ryk

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:42:03 +0000, Gary wrote:

Lots of folks with old boats rip out the Atomics and replace them with
outboards. It gives back some stowage and is a cheap alternative if you
like to sail.

Main problem with an outboard (apart from the other poster's comments) is
hobby-horsing: in any kind of sea, the outboard alternates from being
swamped to having the prop out of the water as the boat pitches.

Lloyd Sumpter
http://www.bcboatnet.org

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:31:55 +0000, Thomas Wentworth wrote:

A friend has offered me his old Pearson Vanguard 33' sailboat. It is in
good shape.
But, it needs a new engine. It has the original Atomic 4 gas.

What diesel engine would be the best replacement? How much do the diesels
cost? How much work is it the replace an old Atomic 4 in a 1968 year
sailboat? When replacing the engine, does the shaft, fuel tank etc also get
replaced?

Any other info???

Thanks,,, Tom

Check out Atomic Four Engine Service, in Richmond. He can rebuild the A-4,
or offer an "equivalent" diesel, probably a Universal. I put in a new
diesel in my Catalina 36 a few years ago: of course, it was replacing a
diesel, so the tank stayed, but I had to rebuild the stringers (you might
have to anyway, they may be rotten...), put in new fuel lines, new
exhaust, new prop... Cost me about CDN$10K, but I did almost all the work
myself. Here's a link to the story:
http://www.bcboatnet.org/Tech/engine/index.html

I DO believe replacing a clapped-out gas engine with a shiny new diesel
WILL increase the boat's value, but possibly not completely offsetting the
installation cost.

Lloyd Sumpter
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Hobby horsing can be a problem in certain boats. My Cascade had the
Fairyman removed and a 10hp Honda installed. I was in 4' stuff last week and
only once did I hear the exhaust go under and the prop never came out of the
water. The area where the engine was now houses a 12 volt fridge.
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:42:03 +0000, Gary wrote:

Lots of folks with old boats rip out the Atomics and replace them with
outboards. It gives back some stowage and is a cheap alternative if you
like to sail.

Main problem with an outboard (apart from the other poster's comments) is
hobby-horsing: in any kind of sea, the outboard alternates from being
swamped to having the prop out of the water as the boat pitches.

Lloyd Sumpter
http://www.bcboatnet.org

engine replacement question Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 17 December 31st 05 11:55 PM
new or rebuilt engine? richard Cruising 8 December 7th 05 05:44 PM
WEAR-FREE COLD ENGINE STARTS -prelubrication oil system Mic Cruising 0 November 11th 05 04:58 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
simple diesel engine question wblakesx Boat Building 4 October 15th 05 04:38 PM