posted to rec.boats.building
Thomas Wentworth

Default engine replacement question

A friend has offered me his old Pearson sailboat. It is in good shape.
But, it needs a new engine. It has the original Atomic 4 gas.

What diesel engine would be the best replacement? How much do the diesels
cost? How much work is it the replace an old Atomic 4 in a 1968 year
sailboat? When replacing the engine, does the shaft, fuel tank etc also get
replaced?

Any other info???

Thanks,,, Tom

posted to rec.boats.building

Several manufacturers offer 'Atomic 4 Replacement' diesel engines.
Most are based on the same Kubota 3 cylinder block, the only difference
being the 'marinization' of the engine.
Too, Yanmar has a similar size / weight engine not based on Kubota.

Here's the list;

Universal M3-20B
Phasor Marine P3-20-SM
Beta Marine BD722

Yanmar 3YM20
Westerbeke 20B2 or 30B3
Vetus M 3.09 (Mitsubishi?)

If weight is a concern, the first 3 (the Kubota derivatives) have a
'dry' weight of around 230 lbs. The last three are closer to 290 lbs.

The cost of the basic engine + standard gear reduction (less high-end
meter/light panel or other options) is *around* 6 - 8K$US. Often the
best deals are had at boat shows, so if you're looking to save $,
enquire at a major show. This price does *not* include installation;
you get the engine on a wooden pallet.

I expect that the fuel tank *could* be reused, but only after careful
inspection for corrosion. The shaft and drive train may need to be
replaced, depending on the physical dimensions of the installtion. I
do *not* believe there are *any* "drop in, plug and play" Atomic 4 swap
outs.

MW

posted to rec.boats.building

If the A-4 runs, do not replace it. You will never recoup the cost.
Any safety concerns about having a gas engine can be covered by
following proper safety procedures.

posted to rec.boats.building
Denis Marier

This is a good point.
As for safety what is the difference between having a 10 pounds propane
tank of two (with snifter) on board Vs having 10 - 20 gallons of gasoline.
The safety issue is relevant many diesel owners do carry 5 to 10 gallons of
gasoline for their dinghy gas motors outboard anyway.

wrote in message
ups.com...
If the A-4 runs, do not replace it. You will never recoup the cost.
Any safety concerns about having a gas engine can be covered by
following proper safety procedures.

posted to rec.boats.building
Jonathan W.

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
A friend has offered me his old Pearson sailboat. It is in good shape.
But, it needs a new engine. It has the original Atomic 4 gas.

What diesel engine would be the best replacement? How much do the diesels
cost? How much work is it the replace an old Atomic 4 in a 1968 year
sailboat? When replacing the engine, does the shaft, fuel tank etc also get
replaced?

Any other info???

Thanks,,, Tom

People who have actually done the replacements generally report expenses
of 10-15 thousand dollars. Non of the engines on the market just "drop
in" as they would like you to believe.

On the other hand, a rebuilt as good as new Atomic 4 engine, which has
served the boat well already for some 30 odd years, can usually be had
for just under 5K, and they are usually quieter than diesels to begin with.

Look at www.moyermarine.com, or the list servers at SailNet.com or
Sailjazz.com (there was a very active A-4 owners group, but where it
settled *exactly* I haven't yet focused on).

Simply running some solvents through the cooling system and installing
an electronic ignition, both of which can be done for less than $150.00
can make the engine run like new.

Check it out before you burn a lot of money unnecessarily.

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie

Tom,
Two things to start with:
Look up www.goodoldboat.com you might want the free issue, but you also
might just as well subsribe now.
Bookmark www.moyermarine.com that is the current best source for A4 parts.

Is this a fresh or sal****er boat?

In any case:
Examine your alternatives carefully.
Are you a competent mechanic or can you get a hold of one?
A complete rebuild of an old A4 is about 6-700$us in parts. The hard
part is getting it out of the boat.
The price quoted for a new diesel is about right, but count on another
2k$us to install (I have seen it be twice that). They can be had used,
but can you get a good answer as to why it was removed?

If it is a fresh water boat, the fiberglass will weather away before the
A4 corrodes to distruction.

What Peason is it?
What condition is the rest of the hull and rig?

Matt Colie

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
A friend has offered me his old Pearson sailboat. It is in good shape.
But, it needs a new engine. It has the original Atomic 4 gas.

What diesel engine would be the best replacement? How much do the diesels
cost? How much work is it the replace an old Atomic 4 in a 1968 year
sailboat? When replacing the engine, does the shaft, fuel tank etc also get
replaced?

Any other info???

Thanks,,, Tom

posted to rec.boats.building
dazed and confuzzed

Jim wrote:

1) Any fuel tank that old needs to be replaced no matter how good it
appears to be.

Why?

2) Diesel requires a baffled tank.

For what reason? Foaming?

wrote:

[...]

“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of moral crisis.”

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim

dazed and confuzzed wrote:
Jim wrote:

1) Any fuel tank that old needs to be replaced no matter how good it
appears to be.

Why?

A guy who does fuel polishing told me there's two kinds of people who
own twenty year old fuel tanks, "Those who know they have a problem, and
everyone else."

If you don't get it, ALL twenty year old tanks are a leak waiting to happen.

2) Diesel requires a baffled tank.

For what reason? Foaming?

A little suspended air in the fuel can ruin your day.

wrote:

[...]

Terry Spragg

wrote:

[...]

And, the additional weight may upset the vessel's trim.

Rebuild it. Winter's here. Any decent machine shop would love the
job. You will love it.

Terry K

new or rebuilt engine? richard Cruising 8 December 7th 05 05:44 PM
WEAR-FREE COLD ENGINE STARTS -prelubrication oil system Mic Cruising 0 November 11th 05 04:58 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
simple diesel engine question wblakesx Boat Building 4 October 15th 05 04:38 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM