wblakesx

Default simple diesel engine question

A friend bought a boat that had a diesel set in the boat, but not
hooked up. The motor was very stiff so I pulled the injectors, put in
penetrating oil, turned her by hand the next day, then on the starter
and she loosened up alot; but little fuel came out of the
inj pump. I tried again with the two levers on the side of the inj pump
in various positions but still only a very minimal amount of fuel. Am I
missing something?

Further I guess I should have some concern about cylinder surfaces. I
plan to run her abit, and if she doesn't overheat, do a leakdown test.
Any comments?

James

"wblakesx" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend bought a boat that had a diesel set in the boat, but not
hooked up. The motor was very stiff so I pulled the injectors, put in
penetrating oil, turned her by hand the next day, then on the starter
and she loosened up alot; but little fuel came out of the
inj pump. I tried again with the two levers on the side of the inj pump
in various positions but still only a very minimal amount of fuel. Am I
missing something?

Further I guess I should have some concern about cylinder surfaces. I
plan to run her abit, and if she doesn't overheat, do a leakdown test.
Any comments?

The fuel in the injector pump has dried up and the sediment left behind is
clogging it up.
the pump will almost certainly have to be stripped down, cleaned and
recalibrated.. not an easy or cheap task... but it wont work till its done.
Sorry

Matt Colie

Wblakesx,
I am a bit puzzled.
If you are looking at the high pressure fuel lines that go to the actual
injectors, how much fuel did you expect?
The amount of fuel injected per cycle is measured in MICRO(10e-6)liters
or cubic millimeters and it is a small number.
Matt Colie

wblakesx wrote:

A friend bought a boat that had a diesel set in the boat, but not
hooked up. The motor was very stiff so I pulled the injectors, put in
penetrating oil, turned her by hand the next day, then on the starter
and she loosened up alot; but little fuel came out of the
inj pump. I tried again with the two levers on the side of the inj pump
in various positions but still only a very minimal amount of fuel. Am I
missing something?

Further I guess I should have some concern about cylinder surfaces. I
plan to run her abit, and if she doesn't overheat, do a leakdown test.
Any comments?

dazed and confuzzed

wblakesx wrote:

A friend bought a boat that had a diesel set in the boat, but not
hooked up. The motor was very stiff so I pulled the injectors, put in
penetrating oil, turned her by hand the next day, then on the starter
and she loosened up alot; but little fuel came out of the
inj pump. I tried again with the two levers on the side of the inj pump
in various positions but still only a very minimal amount of fuel. Am I
missing something?

Further I guess I should have some concern about cylinder surfaces. I
plan to run her abit, and if she doesn't overheat, do a leakdown test.
Any comments?

could be he has an airlock in the fuel lines.

--
“No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy”
Sun Tzu

Roger Derby

I haven't seen anyone send the following suggestions, so ...

To get it running after a long layoff, spray WD-40 in the air intake. It
will run on that stuff while the fuel pumps fill the lines and you bleed the
air from the system (crack the connection at the injector).

The two levers are (most likely) the "throttle" and the cut-off. The
cut-off will be either on or off. The throttle, which actually controls the
amount of fuel metered to each injector, is a continuous control from idle
to full power.

Be good to the injection pump/metering system. It costs more than the whole
rest of the motor. Clean fuel, clean filters, don't take it apart.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

oups.com...

Oil use question Big Pop General 6 October 14th 05 11:02 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM
Diesel prices in S. California? Old Boat Goat General 2 October 12th 05 02:21 AM
Price of Diesel in S. Calif. Old Boat Goat General 0 October 11th 05 03:34 PM