Big Pop

Default Oil use question

Hi all, I'm new here so take it easy on me while I get my sea legs :-)

I have a question concerning the amount of oil my boat is using. From
day 1 it has used approximately 1/2 quart every 30 hours. The engine is
a 350 Chevy engine and I never bring the rpm's up over 3800. The
dealer, and several mechanics have told me this is perfectly normal,
and that all engines burn some oil.

Does this amount of oil consumption seem normal?

Thanks,

Big Pop.

trainfan1

Big Pop wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here so take it easy on me while I get my sea legs :-)

I have a question concerning the amount of oil my boat is using. From
day 1 it has used approximately 1/2 quart every 30 hours. The engine is
a 350 Chevy engine and I never bring the rpm's up over 3800. The
dealer, and several mechanics have told me this is perfectly normal,
and that all engines burn some oil.

Does this amount of oil consumption seem normal?

Thanks,

Big Pop.

Well within acceptable range.

It may use less when it gets broken in... NEVER above 3800? That's a
shame. It's probably not yet fully "seated" or sealed yet!

Rob
PocoLoco

On 13 Oct 2005 12:27:41 -0700, "Big Pop" wrote:

Hi all, I'm new here so take it easy on me while I get my sea legs :-)

I have a question concerning the amount of oil my boat is using. From
day 1 it has used approximately 1/2 quart every 30 hours. The engine is
a 350 Chevy engine and I never bring the rpm's up over 3800. The
dealer, and several mechanics have told me this is perfectly normal,
and that all engines burn some oil.

Does this amount of oil consumption seem normal?

Thanks,

Big Pop.

I average about 80 hours a year, and have never had to add oil between changes
on the 5.7L Mercruiser.

I do, however, have to add a quart about every 2500 miles in my pickup which has
the 5.7L GMC engine. I've had to do that since it was new.

--
John H

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

Ronald Reagan
John

You may be burning that much oil because you're limiting the rpms to
3800. High rpms under a heavy load help seat the rings. Avoid the use
of synthetic oil until your engine is broken in enough to stop passing
oil past the rings. Like Tamaroak said, engines shouldn't burn any oil.

Gene and Train are correct. Break-in does not mean babying an engine.
Weakly broken in engines eventually develop ridges at the top of the
cylinders which are lower than normal. The sharp edges of the top
piston rings start having disagreements with this ridge when the engine
eventually is run at redline RPMs after break-in.

John

Tamaroak

I have that engine in a 1987 boat. It has 800 hours on it and doesn't
burn any oil, never has. I'm running Amsoil 15-40 marine deisel oil in
it. Ask me in 1000 hours whether it was a good idea...

Capt. Jeff

JamesgangNC

That's not enough to do anything about. Mine burns a little. Some folks
say they never notice any oil loss between changes. I presume you are sure
there are no leaks? The older chevy v8's occasionally leaked around the
valve covers and the rear oil seal. Both of those spots had design changes
in I believe 1987.

For oil to burn it either is getting past the rings or down the valve
guides. Both are a whole lot of work to replace so no one does until the
oil consumption gets really bad or there are other sypmtoms.

"Big Pop" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I'm new here so take it easy on me while I get my sea legs :-)

I have a question concerning the amount of oil my boat is using. From
day 1 it has used approximately 1/2 quart every 30 hours. The engine is
a 350 Chevy engine and I never bring the rpm's up over 3800. The
dealer, and several mechanics have told me this is perfectly normal,
and that all engines burn some oil.

Does this amount of oil consumption seem normal?

Thanks,

Big Pop.

Jeff Rigby

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
ink.net...
That's not enough to do anything about. Mine burns a little. Some folks
say they never notice any oil loss between changes. I presume you are
sure there are no leaks? The older chevy v8's occasionally leaked around
the valve covers and the rear oil seal. Both of those spots had design
changes in I believe 1987.

I've got a 91 5.7 and I don't use any oil but I did have a leak that
occured when the engine overheated, it leaked out the intake manafold
gasket. Removing mamfold and using rtv fixed that problem.

For oil to burn it either is getting past the rings or down the valve
guides. Both are a whole lot of work to replace so no one does until the
oil consumption gets really bad or there are other sypmtoms.

oups.com...