JamesgangNC

Default Oil use question

That's not enough to do anything about. Mine burns a little. Some folks
say they never notice any oil loss between changes. I presume you are sure
there are no leaks? The older chevy v8's occasionally leaked around the
valve covers and the rear oil seal. Both of those spots had design changes
in I believe 1987.

For oil to burn it either is getting past the rings or down the valve
guides. Both are a whole lot of work to replace so no one does until the
oil consumption gets really bad or there are other sypmtoms.

"Big Pop" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I'm new here so take it easy on me while I get my sea legs :-)

I have a question concerning the amount of oil my boat is using. From
day 1 it has used approximately 1/2 quart every 30 hours. The engine is
a 350 Chevy engine and I never bring the rpm's up over 3800. The
dealer, and several mechanics have told me this is perfectly normal,
and that all engines burn some oil.

Does this amount of oil consumption seem normal?

Thanks,

Big Pop.