Bill

Default engine question

wrote:

Again, I'd recco rebuilding the A4 but you really can repower with a
diesel for less than 6K. I just looked on TADiesel web site and they
have a used 24 hp (Perkins I think) for $3950 guaranteed to work. It
has a new control panel too.
I repowered my 28' S2 going from a 6.5 hp Yanmar to a 13 hp Yanmar with
no problems. I also thought it'd be a drop in replacement but it
wasn't. I had top cut down the engine stringers but othetr than that
it went well and wasn't too hard.

The bottom line is gas engines can blow up and diesels don't. Nearly every
nice boat that I've seen priced way below market for the model and year had
either a gas engine or a diesel that needed replaced. I know a guy with a
beautiful Bristol 28 for sale and can't seem to get any interest at $17k or
$15k. The problem I think was he replaced the old inboard engine with an
outboard.
--
Bill Boyher