Jere Lull

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:54:49 -1000, "renewontime dot com"
said:

Why not set yourself up
with an account at Hotmail or Yahoo?

You've figured out how to access a free Hotmail account via POP3 and SMTP?
Please tell.

Easy: Just set the Yahoo mailbox to forward to your current ISP. Been
years since I had one of their addresses, but I expect they still have
the option.

--
Jere Lull
Jeff Morris

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:52:11 GMT, Jere Lull said:

Easy: Just set the Yahoo mailbox to forward to your current ISP. Been
years since I had one of their addresses, but I expect they still have
the option.

OK, how do I get a Yahoo mailbox for a Hotmail account?

I don't know why you're messing around with hotmail or yahoo. You can
get your own domain and and email hosting for $18 a year. Make up an
infinite number of email names, etc. Add a website for another $24 a year.
rhys

On 28 Jan 2005 09:47:03 -0600, Dave wrote:

Doubtful, as Eudora like most spam fighting programs relies on filtering out
the posts you don't want. Only way to have no spam is with the type of
system I use--no mail gets in unless I have approved the sender in advance.

That's not entirely correct. You can train a Bayesian filter-style of
"spam catcher", and you can own your own domain and remotely set mail
server parameters, and you can use a router and firewall.

Now, about one spam a week. I used to get 300 a day, thanks to
newsgroup trolling, but as my domain advertises my business, it's
easier to block this stuff in the first place. Changing who hosts my
mail made a huge difference.

R.
rhys

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:44:01 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

I don't know why you're messing around with hotmail or yahoo. You can
get your own domain and and email hosting for $18 a year. Make up an
infinite number of email names, etc. Add a website for another $24 a year.

Exactly. And if you don't need to access that domain on the road, you
can restrict your domain "origin point" with your ISP so that if mail
with your domain didn't come from their POP server, it's nuked. That
means it become very difficult to "spoof" your address and domain.

It's sometimes called an SPF...Sender Policy Framework. Kills spam
appearing to originate with you dead.

R.

Jeff Morris

said:

I don't know why you're messing around with hotmail or yahoo. You can
get your own domain and and email hosting for $18 a year. Make up an
infinite number of email names, etc. Add a website for another $24 a year.

Actually, I have a perfectly good e-mail account with my ISP. Unfortunately
when my wife got her new computer she was in such a hurry to get e-mail set
up that she didn't want to wait for me to get the connection information
from the office to set her up with her own mailbox, so she activated the AOL
service that came with the computer and is free for a couple of months.
(Obviously, it will be cancelled as soon as the free period ends.) I did
prevail on her not to use AOL's e-mail, and set her up with a Hotmail
account so it would survive the AOL cancellation. Now she's frustrated with
the web interface. I've set her up with her own mailbox on our ISP and am
setting up Outlook Express to access that account. But until she makes the
transition there is still a need to access the Hotmail account, so I was
looking for a way to set that up in OE.

All that makes sense, but when you change ISP (or even if they change
their name) your email account changes. By owning your own domain, you
can be and and use any isp you
want. You still get to use any pop3 program, plus you can get http
access to the mail server. I make up a new "name" whenever I give out
my email - all of the random names get dumped into the same box, but I
can tell if someone gave my addy away, and I can filter them. You can
do a variety of other things, like forwarding. All for $1.50 a month.

I was particularly glad I had set this up when half the people in my
town had their email addy changed not once, but twice in a year.

The one thing of value that AOL seems to do is spam filtering - I've had
to ante up for Norton's AntiSpam, because the freebie programs,
including the one from my domain host, aren't good enough.

The only problem I have now is that I always have to name my boat "Loki"!

Larry W4CSC

No problemo, Cap'n Lou. Go to www.usenetserver.com and buy an unlimited
access account for $14.95/month. No GB limit, no restrictions. Binaries
are always as complete as uploaded. Connections to the rest of the planet
are great and retention on this newsgroup is measured on years, not days.

(Capt Lou) wrote in
:

Just got word from AOL that AOL is terminating all of their
newsgroups. It was nice knowing everyone in this group, even though
there were way too many off topic postings. Anyway, farewell, and if
you want to talk about boating or have a sea story oir a fish tale to
tell, give me a call on the radio.

You can listen on line at
www.959watd.com or anytime during the week
(most weeks - the blizzard knocked us off last week) at either
www.959watd.com or www.massbayboating.com.

Capt Lou

"Listen to 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou on the web by
clicking NAUTICAL NEWS at www.959watd.com. If you are in Boston or
Cape Cod set your radio dial to 95.9FM and tune in the live broadcast
on Sunday afternoons between 4 - 5.

Larry W4CSC

Dave wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:47:04 GMT, Larry W4CSC said:

No GB limit, no restrictions.

Now quite. You're limited to one connection at a time, which limits the
speed of multithreading download programs. Still faster than Newscene's
unlimited download option, though.

Nope....6 simultaneous ports. Your limit is your download bandwidth on
broadband.

Using more than one port for more bandwidth makes no difference on
usenetserver.com. It shoves 320KB (bytes not bits) through one port, here.
That's the cap on my cable. Delays getting the next message in a multipart
binary is milliseconds with Xnews, which is free.

I'm offloading my 360GB hard drive stack to DVD+R as I type this...(sigh)

I think completeness is more important than multiple ports and
usenetserver.com finally got its act together on completeness in its feeds.

Don White

"Ken Heaton" wrote in message
I don't know about Hotmail or Yahoo but I do know that Google's new G-Mail
will allow you to access it via POP3 and SMTP if you want to.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Hi Ken...good to see you're still around.
Remember the Silver Donald Cameron video on cruising the Bras d'Or Lakes??
I went to the main branch of the halifax library and borrowed it.
At the tail end was a 1-800 number to call if you wanted a copy. I called
and a company in Sydney answered. The lady seemed supprised and wanted to
know how I found their number. They did have still have copies and mailed me
one for around $35.00.

Larry W4CSC

Dave wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:03:29 GMT, Larry W4CSC said:

I think completeness is more important than multiple ports and
usenetserver.com finally got its act together on completeness in its
feeds.

I agree on the completeness point. Glad to hear they got their act
together. The news farms seem to have a history of catching up and
then falling behind as usage increases. The one on top today may be
on the bottom in 6 months. I've been tempted from time to time to
switch, but in the long run I'm not sure it would make sense.

I helped Knology Cable betatest their own news server. The heavy
downloaders were asked to trash it. We did...(c;

So, the company decided to buy Usenetserver.com's ISP service, instead.
It's been great and is included with my $55 monthly service. I see no
reason to even have internet without Usenet. Everything else is just
another advertising scheme like TV or Radio has become....useless. I don't
even own a TV any more. I don't pay to watch advertising.

It's the reason I don't go to the boatshow. How stupid to pay $8 for a
ticket and $4 for parking to see nothing but dealers trying to sell me
something. If they want to sell me a house, I don't have to pay to ride
around in the real estate company's SUV. Why do I have to pay to look at
boats?....(c;