Capt Lou

Default The End Is Near

Just got word from AOL that AOL is terminating all of their newsgroups. It was
nice knowing everyone in this group, even though there were way too many off
topic postings. Anyway, farewell, and if you want to talk about boating or have
a sea story oir a fish tale to tell, give me a call on the radio.

You can listen on line at www.959watd.com or anytime during the week (most
weeks - the blizzard knocked us off last week) at either www.959watd.com or
www.massbayboating.com.

Capt Lou

"Listen to 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou on the web by clicking
NAUTICAL NEWS at www.959watd.com. If you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your
radio dial to 95.9FM and tune in the live broadcast on Sunday afternoons
between 4 - 5.
Jeff Morris

Capt Lou wrote:
Just got word from AOL that AOL is terminating all of their newsgroups. It was
nice knowing everyone in this group, even though there were way too many off
topic postings. Anyway, farewell, and if you want to talk about boating or have
a sea story oir a fish tale to tell, give me a call on the radio.

You can listen on line at www.959watd.com or anytime during the week (most
weeks - the blizzard knocked us off last week) at either www.959watd.com or
www.massbayboating.com.

Capt Lou

"Listen to 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou on the web by clicking
NAUTICAL NEWS at www.959watd.com. If you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your
radio dial to 95.9FM and tune in the live broadcast on Sunday afternoons
between 4 - 5.

Sounds like a hoax to me. I suppose they might want to limit usage,
especially for binaries, but you can always get access yourself for a
free or a modest charge. Why are you wasting money on AOL anyways?
Wayne.B

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:08:20 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

I agree with Jeff. Get yourself a real ISP if AOL's serious about that.
[I was an early adopter of AOL; I left when I found a full service ISP.

Absolutely right, AOL is a poor substitute for the real thing. You
may not need to leave them however. There used to be an option in the
AOL logon options where you specify that you want a "Windows Socket"
connection or words to that effect. That would enable you to use AOL
for your EMAIL while actually connecting with something else (like a
high speed cable connection or DSL service). Assuming that you get
that working, you then need an independent newsreader like Free Agent:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

If you are already connecting to AOL with cable or DSL, chance are
that you have everything in place already except for installing a
newsreader.

Tim

Why are you wasting money on AOL anyways?

No need for that really. There are several free news servers that can

be
accessed from any ISP, including AOL, though I don't know which of

them
carry this group.

Dave

I wonder why I say with them myself. I've been paying them for 7 years,
and ...for what reason I don't know.

Their NewsGroup service is crappy....

SO CRAPPY I went and got a Google account and its been alot better.

I can still (for the moment) post on AOL, but I don't usually mess with
it.

Tim

Bert Robbins

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Just dump AOL altogether. If you have an DSL or cable connection you get
e-mail addresses.

renewontime dot com

There are -so many- dialup services for $10, there's really no reason to
stay with any service that charges more. I thought that a news server was
just -part- of what you're paying for, I've never paid anything additional
for unlimited access in nearly a dozen years on the 'net. I don't know how
many folks in this group were around during the "old days" when AOL nearly
went belly up because of lousey customer support and service. Apparently,
they haven't learned much from past mistakes...

As far as recommendations go, I used Earthlink way back when their fee was
less than $15, then switched to http://www.flex.com about 3 years ago when
Earthlink jacked their rates up. Flex.com was one of the first to offer
unlimited access for less than $10, and I haven't found a good reason to
drop them yet. Only negative is that they offer -no technical support-.
None, nada, zip. If you have a problem and it's not the host's fault,
you're on your own. Since I've been doing this kind of stuff since the
80's, I really don't use tech support much anyways. But there are plenty of
other services that offer unlimited access -and- newsgroups for about $10.
Shop around.

Changing email addresses is a hassle, no doubt. Why not set yourself up
with an account at Hotmail or Yahoo? That way you're free to move from one
service to the next, getting the best deal/service you can, and keep the
same email address.

Good luck,

Paul

rhys

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:43:04 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

Absolutely right, AOL is a poor substitute for the real thing. You
may not need to leave them however. There used to be an option in the
AOL logon options where you specify that you want a "Windows Socket"
connection or words to that effect. That would enable you to use AOL
for your EMAIL while actually connecting with something else (like a
high speed cable connection or DSL service). Assuming that you get
that working, you then need an independent newsreader like Free Agent:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

If you are already connecting to AOL with cable or DSL, chance are
that you have everything in place already except for installing a
newsreader.

Ten years ago when I was doing service calls for an early independent
ISP, we used to call AOL "Assholes On Line", because only the stupid
or the unwilling to learn would get sucked into using it. They also
produced the most ignorant calls to our help desk. We used to say that
AOL wasn't the Internet...it was a discount mall out on the highway
leading away from the Internet.

I see no reason to change my opinion, despite the hundreds of coasters
AOL has sent me over the years.

I use Free Agent, Eudora and Firefox. No Microsoft, no AOL, no spam,
no pop-ups. It's almost as peaceful as sailing.

R.

Ken Heaton

I don't know about Hotmail or Yahoo but I do know that Google's new G-Mail
will allow you to access it via POP3 and SMTP if you want to.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:54:49 -1000, "renewontime dot com"

said:

Why not set yourself up
with an account at Hotmail or Yahoo?

You've figured out how to access a free Hotmail account via POP3 and SMTP?
Please tell.

renewontime dot com

Why not set yourself up
with an account at Hotmail or Yahoo?

You've figured out how to access a free Hotmail account via POP3 and SMTP?
Please tell.

To send/receive Hotmail via POP3/SMTP using Outlook Express 6, try this:
Tools, Email Accounts -- Add A New Email Account -- Server Type select
HTTP -- Under Server Information just select Hotmail from the drop down
menu. Enter all the other details. Click next and you are done. I set this
up a while back for a client and it worked. Give it a try and let us know
if it worked for you.

For Yahoo and others, you can try this:
http://www.jmasoftware.com/english/index.html
I've never tried this, haven't had anyone ask before...

Hope this helps,

Paul