Capt Lou

Default The End Is Near

Just got word from AOL that AOL is terminating all of their newsgroups. It was
nice knowing everyone in this group, even though there were way too many off
topic postings. Anyway, farewell, and if you want to talk about boating or have
a sea story oir a fish tale to tell, give me a call on the radio.

You can listen on line at www.959watd.com or anytime during the week (most
weeks - the blizzard knocked us off last week) at either www.959watd.com or
www.massbayboating.com.

Capt Lou

"Listen to 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou on the web by clicking
NAUTICAL NEWS at www.959watd.com. If you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your
radio dial to 95.9FM and tune in the live broadcast on Sunday afternoons
between 4 - 5.
Jeff Morris

Capt Lou wrote:
Just got word from AOL that AOL is terminating all of their newsgroups. It was
nice knowing everyone in this group, even though there were way too many off
topic postings. Anyway, farewell, and if you want to talk about boating or have
a sea story oir a fish tale to tell, give me a call on the radio.

You can listen on line at www.959watd.com or anytime during the week (most
weeks - the blizzard knocked us off last week) at either www.959watd.com or
www.massbayboating.com.

Capt Lou

"Listen to 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou on the web by clicking
NAUTICAL NEWS at www.959watd.com. If you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your
radio dial to 95.9FM and tune in the live broadcast on Sunday afternoons
between 4 - 5.

Sounds like a hoax to me. I suppose they might want to limit usage,
especially for binaries, but you can always get access yourself for a
free or a modest charge. Why are you wasting money on AOL anyways?
Wayne.B

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:08:20 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

I agree with Jeff. Get yourself a real ISP if AOL's serious about that.
[I was an early adopter of AOL; I left when I found a full service ISP.

Absolutely right, AOL is a poor substitute for the real thing. You
may not need to leave them however. There used to be an option in the
AOL logon options where you specify that you want a "Windows Socket"
connection or words to that effect. That would enable you to use AOL
for your EMAIL while actually connecting with something else (like a
high speed cable connection or DSL service). Assuming that you get
that working, you then need an independent newsreader like Free Agent:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

If you are already connecting to AOL with cable or DSL, chance are
that you have everything in place already except for installing a
newsreader.

Bert Robbins

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Just dump AOL altogether. If you have an DSL or cable connection you get
e-mail addresses.

rhys

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:43:04 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

Absolutely right, AOL is a poor substitute for the real thing. You
may not need to leave them however. There used to be an option in the
AOL logon options where you specify that you want a "Windows Socket"
connection or words to that effect. That would enable you to use AOL
for your EMAIL while actually connecting with something else (like a
high speed cable connection or DSL service). Assuming that you get
that working, you then need an independent newsreader like Free Agent:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

If you are already connecting to AOL with cable or DSL, chance are
that you have everything in place already except for installing a
newsreader.

Ten years ago when I was doing service calls for an early independent
ISP, we used to call AOL "Assholes On Line", because only the stupid
or the unwilling to learn would get sucked into using it. They also
produced the most ignorant calls to our help desk. We used to say that
AOL wasn't the Internet...it was a discount mall out on the highway
leading away from the Internet.

I see no reason to change my opinion, despite the hundreds of coasters
AOL has sent me over the years.

I use Free Agent, Eudora and Firefox. No Microsoft, no AOL, no spam,
no pop-ups. It's almost as peaceful as sailing.

R.

Larry W4CSC

No problemo, Cap'n Lou. Go to www.usenetserver.com and buy an unlimited
access account for $14.95/month. No GB limit, no restrictions. Binaries
are always as complete as uploaded. Connections to the rest of the planet
are great and retention on this newsgroup is measured on years, not days.

(Capt Lou) wrote in
: