Steve Smith

Default Anchoring: Kellets versus Buoys?

Hi all

Having looked at Chapman's 'Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat
Handling' (now available in your local library for UK readers), I was
a bit surprised to see recommended that a mooring-type buoy be used
rather than attaching some other flotation to the intact anchor chain
(one more link to go wrong). I think Hinz discusses this in his books
but I haven't managed to get hold of any in the UK.

I know this method of anchoring is for extreme conditions but has
anyone any experience with it or the alternative method of using
weights slid down the rode. I would guess there is a better argument
for avoiding shock loading than there is for anchor dragging and that
the buoy method is better at doing this.
I am assuming all chain here due to chafe resistance.

Regards

Steve

Remove defcv if etc.
Glenn Ashmore

Aa kellet and a float have oposite effects on the cantenary of the rode. A
float deflects the cantanary upwards while a kellet deflects it downwards.
A downward deflection increases the angle of attack of the anchor's flukes
thus increasing the net holding power under steady moderate load. If
anything a float will reduce the angle of attack. While this reduces the
ultimate holding power somewhat the float will react faster over a greater
distance to shock loads. Once the tension on the rode is high enough to
remove the cantenary the difference is pretty minimal.

In an anchorage with a short fetch exposed to a more or less steady wind
load I would prefer a kellet. With a longer fetch generating larger swells
the float may be the better choice.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Marc Auslander" wrote in message
I have read, and it seems plausible, that in bad enough conditions, a
kellet does no good because it can't really deflect the rode very
much. And it may cause trouble if it starts to bounce up and down -
pulling up on the rode on the upswings. I would think a mooring ball
would similarly fail under extreme load.

(Steve Smith) writes:

[...]

Jeff Morris

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
Kellets increase effective scope. Buoys decrease it.

Yes, that's the key. Kellets are only really useful when you can't put out enough
scope. Most anchors are optimized for an upward pull at 8 to 12 degrees, so they
shouldn't pull out if the scope is 7 to 1 or better, especially if the there's a
healthy bit of chain.

The other interesting property of a kellet is that boats that horse around an anchor
may be quieter if a kellet is lowered down so that it rests on the bottom. This
approximates a hammerlock setup, which is a small anchor on very short scope added to
keep the bow stable. When I had a Nonsuch I kept a dinghy anchor for that purpose.

And while a kellet may provide some shock absorbing in a limited scope, moderate wind
situation, it gives little advantage if longer scope is used. (And I'm sure we all
know by now, a caternary, as the term is used in anchoring, has virtually no shock
absorbing quality.) Also, the OP mentioned it in terms of an all chain rode, but
I've almost always heard of it used with a mixed chain/rope rode.

A buoyed anchor rode is used by fishing boats anchoring in a large sea - I'm not sure
its relevant to cruising boats. I suppose it might be handy in an area of coral heads
to keep the scope small in lighter air.

Terry Spragg

Marc Auslander wrote:

I have read, and it seems plausible, that in bad enough conditions, a
kellet does no good because it can't really deflect the rode very
much. And it may cause trouble if it starts to bounce up and down -
pulling up on the rode on the upswings. I would think a mooring ball
would similarly fail under extreme load.

Strange how similar in effect kellet and float are, and how different.

The ball sinks, deflecting the snubbing chain / painter junction to
a degree adjustable at the painter end. Once it floats, it implies
that mooring forces are minimalised. Any tangle occurs at the surface.

A kellet can only effect snubbing to one degree, unless it slides
and is adjustable. Once it rests on the bottom, it implies that the
mooring forces are minimalised. There is also a tangle possible, at
the bottom.

A longer float painter can produce a larger and more gentle
anti-snubbing force in either analysis.

Under the most demanding conditions, both a kellet and a float with
a long painter totalling sufficient scope are best, wether at
anchor or mooring weight. A strong nylon painter is preferrable to a
light floating painter, except if the tide and wind conspire, until
the floating painter is wound around the keel root. That is probably
easier to clean up than is a tangle on the bottom.

Perhaps a cart before the horse? A float with a long painter and a
kellet on the painter between the float and the boat? Perhaps a
daisy chain of floats with kellets suspended barely above the
bottom? Perhaps even a clothesline or string, with which to bring
the moored boat's stern within wading distance of the shore, or
floating dock out to the boat? (I draw 2'-10".) I presently can draw
the dinghy out to the mooring using a messenger cable instead of
oars, but the dinghy is too small for that to be really convenient.
Cable ferries are common out here.

We do get some medium sized wakes.

This ties in with a desire to provide isolated bifilar hydro to my
moored boat, perhaps via a mooring raft made of tires on wheels?
That would require a swivel above the float and a strong stainless
steel messenger wire to the shore, such as I presently use to
retrieve the sunken mooring chain after the ice goes out. A two wire
extension cord, isolated, in fresh water, may work out well. How
much current would you expect a similar circuit to draw if the
outlet was dropped in salt water? How dangerous would you expect
such a mishap to be?

I get a feeling that might not be a bad plan, and see that there may
be no tangle, despite wind and tide conspiracies, except I cannot
really trust what such a daisy chain might do under Murphy's
influence. I'm gonna give it a try. Any experiences? Any bets?

Perhaps pennant is a better word?

Terry K

(Steve Smith) writes:

[...]

Jim Donohue

Actually neither the ball no the kellet has any effect in extreme
conditions. Nor is chain desirable under such coditions. The problems is
that above 35 knots of wind or so you have a straight rode. Neither kellet
nor ball makes any difference...its straight. At that point nylon is a lot
better than chain because of its elasticity. A long nylon rode keeps the
anchor from tearing your boat up as a chain rode can do. The downside of
course is you really need to maintain a nylon rode under such
conditions...rigging chaff protection or letting out small increments to
minimize chaff. Hinz deals with all this in his books.

Jim Donohue

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Amgine

"Jim Donohue" wrote in message news:X2Uid.82404$bk1.80735@fed1read05...
The problems is
that above 35 knots of wind or so you have a straight rode.

Uhm, maybe for your boat. In fact, just last weekend I was anchored
out in 30 gusting 45 and neither chain+rope rode was bar-taut. On the
other hand, I was wishing I had a bit more chain on both because I
didn't have quite enough out for the weather (7:1 on a 7.5kg Bruce,
and 5:1 on a 25lb. CQR) as I'd anchored 8 hours before the peak of the
blow.

To get a reasonable amount of shock absorption with all-chain, use a
chain hook on about 30-40' of light nylon laid line and veer out a few
more feet of chain. You'll get all the spring you want, but if there's
much fetch you don't want too slack a chain to save your bows from a
beating.

I've never used either a kellet or buoy, but I'd like to experiment
with both. Who has used which?

Amgine
http://wiki.saewyc.net/
Paul L

Uhm, maybe for your boat. In fact, just last weekend I was anchored
out in 30 gusting 45 and neither chain+rope rode was bar-taut.

The point still holds, in heavy weather conditions, when things are at their
worst, an all chain rode or a chain/rope rode will be stretched taut and a
kettle will do no good.

Paul
"Amgine" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Jim Donohue

"Amgine" wrote in message
om...
[...]

See Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring by Hinz page 113. On the ABYC
hypothetical power boat of 45 feet and 15 foot beam the cantenary has 1 foot
of "droop"per 100 feet of rode at 30 knots and 0 feet at 40 knots. If your
boat is smaller and has a smaller section it may be a little higher.

Hinz advocates the use of chain riding stoppers for all chain boats. He
points out that all chain rodes are very good at parting or destroying
something in high winds. They are also sufficiently noisey in high wind
conditions to make sleep difficult.

Jim Donohue