Paul L

Uhm, maybe for your boat. In fact, just last weekend I was anchored
out in 30 gusting 45 and neither chain+rope rode was bar-taut.

The point still holds, in heavy weather conditions, when things are at their
worst, an all chain rode or a chain/rope rode will be stretched taut and a
kettle will do no good.

Paul
"Amgine" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Donohue" wrote in message
The problems is
that above 35 knots of wind or so you have a straight rode.

Uhm, maybe for your boat. In fact, just last weekend I was anchored
out in 30 gusting 45 and neither chain+rope rode was bar-taut. On the
other hand, I was wishing I had a bit more chain on both because I
didn't have quite enough out for the weather (7:1 on a 7.5kg Bruce,
and 5:1 on a 25lb. CQR) as I'd anchored 8 hours before the peak of the
blow.

To get a reasonable amount of shock absorption with all-chain, use a
chain hook on about 30-40' of light nylon laid line and veer out a few
more feet of chain. You'll get all the spring you want, but if there's
much fetch you don't want too slack a chain to save your bows from a
beating.

I've never used either a kellet or buoy, but I'd like to experiment
with both. Who has used which?

Amgine
http://wiki.saewyc.net/