Glenn Ashmore

Aa kellet and a float have oposite effects on the cantenary of the rode. A
float deflects the cantanary upwards while a kellet deflects it downwards.
A downward deflection increases the angle of attack of the anchor's flukes
thus increasing the net holding power under steady moderate load. If
anything a float will reduce the angle of attack. While this reduces the
ultimate holding power somewhat the float will react faster over a greater
distance to shock loads. Once the tension on the rode is high enough to
remove the cantenary the difference is pretty minimal.

In an anchorage with a short fetch exposed to a more or less steady wind
load I would prefer a kellet. With a longer fetch generating larger swells
the float may be the better choice.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Marc Auslander" wrote in message
I have read, and it seems plausible, that in bad enough conditions, a
kellet does no good because it can't really deflect the rode very
much. And it may cause trouble if it starts to bounce up and down -
pulling up on the rode on the upswings. I would think a mooring ball
would similarly fail under extreme load.

(Steve Smith) writes:

Hi all

Having looked at Chapman's 'Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat
Handling' (now available in your local library for UK readers), I was
a bit surprised to see recommended that a mooring-type buoy be used
rather than attaching some other flotation to the intact anchor chain
(one more link to go wrong). I think Hinz discusses this in his books
but I haven't managed to get hold of any in the UK.

I know this method of anchoring is for extreme conditions but has
anyone any experience with it or the alternative method of using
weights slid down the rode. I would guess there is a better argument
for avoiding shock loading than there is for anchor dragging and that
the buoy method is better at doing this.
I am assuming all chain here due to chafe resistance.

Regards

Steve

Remove defcv if etc.