Default Poor Captain Skippy - his boat might never sail again.

I recently learned that, due to the fact the "Flying Pig" has been
on the hard for so long, when the building inspector was making
the rounds he couldn't help noticing how the Pig had become a
permanent structure so the inspector declared the Pig to be an
historical monument.

As you all know, historical monuments acquire a certain 'status'
that renders them unable to be moved from the place where they
were declared historical. So it will take reams of paperwork,
thousands of dollars, a team of lawyers and a special dispensation
to release the "Flying Pig" from her historical monument status she
has so richly earned due to her extreme longevity in a boat yard for
transients.

--
Sir Gregory

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:52:19 PM UTC-5, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
I recently learned that, due to the fact the "Flying Pig" has been

on the hard for so long, when the building inspector was making

the rounds he couldn't help noticing how the Pig had become a

permanent structure so the inspector declared the Pig to be an

historical monument.

As you all know, historical monuments acquire a certain 'status'

that renders them unable to be moved from the place where they

were declared historical. So it will take reams of paperwork,

thousands of dollars, a team of lawyers and a special dispensation

to release the "Flying Pig" from her historical monument status she

has so richly earned due to her extreme longevity in a boat yard for

transients.

--

Sir Gregory

It's feeling so much like home that we're going to move back on her in a few days. Nothing but the nits; we even got the thru-hull we rebedded bottom painted today. Reefer and freezer right on spec temps, and the spaces are getting cleared of tools.

We think we can trump the NHR with a lunar high tide in a couple of weeks :{))

I discovered that I have several hundred pictures since my last session; I have over 20 different project folders open awaiting my review and massage before I put them up - which gives you an idea of what we've been up to for the last several months. Bunches of little stuff turning up as we touch each connection, fixture, hose and the like, but it's better to have a shorebound shakedown than to discover those little things out at sea, IMHO. We're pleased.

Thanks for thinking of me. All the best to those still alive on rbc; next post likely will be of the wrapup, as there's entirely too much to do to make the photos happen in the next couple of days.

L8R, y'all,

Skip, wishing you all a great 2013

Bwahahaha!

tinyurl.com/FlyingPigSpot

Top 12.7, average 8.7 BOAT (through the water) knots, held down by a wait
for a bridge on the way out...

More in the log to come, but all that work on the bottom paid off in spades.
It was getting, toward the end, when the wind dropped to 10 and we had a
counter-current of a couple of knots, that we griped about "only" making 7+
SOG with mid-8s to 10+ BOAT...

No, the engine wasn't running until the turn into the channel. Boy, does
she SAIL!

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Bwahahaha!

tinyurl.com/FlyingPigSpot

Top 12.7, average 8.7 BOAT (through the water) knots, held down by a wait
for a bridge on the way out...

More in the log to come, but all that work on the bottom paid off in spades.
It was getting, toward the end, when the wind dropped to 10 and we had a
counter-current of a couple of knots, that we griped about "only" making 7+
SOG with mid-8s to 10+ BOAT...

No, the engine wasn't running until the turn into the channel. Boy, does
she SAIL!

Skippy, you don't seem to have a clue about apparent wind. If the wind
from the south dropped to to ten knots and you were heading north at
8 knots then your apparent wind would only be two knots from astern.

A two-knot wind from astern can't possibly push you along at 8 knots.
You must have had one hell of a favorable current. :-)

But, I'm happy you're happy with the results of your bottom job. I
sure hope you take full advantage of it in the next six months because
that is about all the time you have before large blisters start popping
up again.

--
Sir Gregory

" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, I didn't specify the time we had our 10 knots. It was a beam reach,
moving toward a close reach (60° to 90° apparent).

One of the reasons we turned in was the change in wind direction, expected
from our forecast. Indeed, we waited slightly too long, as it didn't HAVE
to be that close a reach. So, the true wind was likely more toward our
stern quarter, moved forward by our unexpectedly fast forward motion.

Either way, as it's a relatively straight line, you can calculate it for
yourself as to how far we went (close to 100 miles without the
entrances/channels) in under 12 hours from the time we cleared the 17th
Street bridge to anchor down and lights out by looking at the spot page.

But, I'm happy you're happy with the results of your bottom job. I
sure hope you take full advantage of it in the next six months because
that is about all the time you have before large blisters start popping
up again.

--
Sir Gregory

Heh. We'll see. There weren't any blisters when we tackled it, either, so
I very much doubt we'll have to deal with that. Our shakedown may show
other things which need attention, but we don't expect blisters to be among
them. FWIW, there can't possibly be anything growing on our bottom, as fast
as we were going...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start, in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

L8R, y'all

Skip, going to bed early after a late night on the computer catching up last
night...

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:46:27 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start, in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

====

After 3 summer cruises to the northeast we have come to the conclusion
that you really don't want to be north of about 35 degres latitude
until late May, early June. There can be some nice days here and
there but we like to see the average night time temps at least 60
degrees when we're living on the boat. Average night temps here in
the BVI are in the low 70s right now and that's just about ideal for
us.

"Flying Pig" wrote in
message ...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start, in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

Don't go north too early as the chances are good you'll get
caught in some insufferably cold and wet weather. And if
you do come south you'd better make sure you scrub the
slime off your hull as you sure wouldn't want to be left in
my wake. Remember, at 42 inches of draft, my fine blue
water yacht can take shortcuts across the reef. LOL!

--
Sir Gregory

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:58:14 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in
message ...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start, in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

Don't go north too early as the chances are good you'll get
caught in some insufferably cold and wet weather. And if
you do come south you'd better make sure you scrub the
slime off your hull as you sure wouldn't want to be left in
my wake. Remember, at 42 inches of draft, my fine blue
water yacht can take shortcuts across the reef. LOL!

How in the world do you "take across a reef" when you are permanently
moored?
--
Cheers,

Bruce

" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote in
message ...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown
in the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to
wait until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd
start, in which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that
beer.

Don't go north too early as the chances are good you'll get
caught in some insufferably cold and wet weather. And if
you do come south you'd better make sure you scrub the
slime off your hull as you sure wouldn't want to be left in
my wake. Remember, at 42 inches of draft, my fine blue
water yacht can take shortcuts across the reef. LOL!

--
Sir Gregory

We'll keep the weather in close view. We might, also, do the southern
thing, first, in which case we'll take you out in some 30-knot stuff and
spank your bottom. 6-8 is just a doddle for the Pig...

L8R

Skip and crew

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:58:14 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in
message ...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown
in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start,
in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

Don't go north too early as the chances are good you'll get
caught in some insufferably cold and wet weather. And if
you do come south you'd better make sure you scrub the
slime off your hull as you sure wouldn't want to be left in
my wake. Remember, at 42 inches of draft, my fine blue
water yacht can take shortcuts across the reef. LOL!

How in the world do you "take (shortcuts) across a reef" when
you are permanently moored?

That's easy. As you've been stuck at the docks for so long you've
probably forgotten how so here's a refresher course.

1) raise sails

2) drop mooring lines

3) sail off mooring

4) sail across Hawk Channel

5) approach the reef carefully and sail across it in deep enough
water so as not to run aground.

HTH.

--
Sir Gregory