Default Poor Captain Skippy - his boat might never sail again.

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:20:46 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:58:14 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in
message ...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown
in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start,
in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

Don't go north too early as the chances are good you'll get
caught in some insufferably cold and wet weather. And if
you do come south you'd better make sure you scrub the
slime off your hull as you sure wouldn't want to be left in
my wake. Remember, at 42 inches of draft, my fine blue
water yacht can take shortcuts across the reef. LOL!

How in the world do you "take (shortcuts) across a reef" when
you are permanently moored?

That's easy. As you've been stuck at the docks for so long you've
probably forgotten how so here's a refresher course.

1) raise sails

2) drop mooring lines

3) sail off mooring

4) sail across Hawk Channel

5) approach the reef carefully and sail across it in deep enough
water so as not to run aground.

HTH.

Yup, That is how you do it. Been reading books again haven't you.

Of course you missed the part about hauling the dinghy aboard, and a
few other jobs, but you are getting there. A few more chapters of
Sailing for Dummies and you'll be good to go.

Of course, in the mean time Skip will have sailed blithely off into
the "wine dark sea". Do try to temper your envy.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:20:46 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

. ..
åke wrote:

[...]

The dingy stays on the mooring. When I drop the mooring lines
they are dropped into the dinghy made fast to the painter. Hauling
the dinghy aboard is easy as it only weighs 45 pounds and I've
made a pushpit on which it resides upside-down. Takes only
a few minutes to lift it, flip it over, slide it on and tie it down.

Of course, in the mean time Skip will have sailed blithely off into
the "wine dark sea". Do try to temper your envy.

Skippy probably takes half a day to get underway. He's got way
too much stuff and way too many constant projects in his way
of ease of getting underway.

There is a volcano in the Canary Islands that could cause a massive
landslide which would result in a HUGE tsunami that would wipe
out the East Coast of the USA including Florida with a wave about
three-hundred feet high going hundreds of miles per hour.

Is ever this should happen I have about eight hours to get underway
and out into the deep waters of the Gulf Stream where the tsunami
will cause me no harm. That is why I practice crossing the reef - my
life may well depend upon it. And, as usual, it will probably involve
sailing across the reef in the middle of the night.

--
Sir Gregory (not a sitting duck in Thailand like Bruce)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 14:13:15 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

.. .

åke wrote:

[...]

Funny, I went through the Thai Tsunami and there weren't any 300 ft
high waves. Your logic regarding volcano's seems faulty as an eruption
seldom, if ever, causes a landslide and a surface landslide doesn't
cause a tsunami.

See: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures/tsunami2.htm

(if I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times: "It is better
to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool then to open it and
prove it")
--
Cheers,

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 14:13:15 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:20:46 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

m...
åke wrote:

[...]

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMH5YyJu8GQ

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:51:48 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

.. .
åke wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:20:46 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

om...
åke wrote:

[...]

I suggest that prior to speaking you go and read the actual report
that the BBC, and others were based on. To quote from the report:

In the past million years, dozens of lateral collapse land-
slides of a size comparable to the one considered here have
been shed from volcanic islands in the Atlantic. If our models
are correct, tsunami from these incidents should have washed
several times over most coasts that have good exposure to the
sea. A test of these predictions lies in whether tsunami deposits
associated with specific collapses can be identified, dated,
and widely correlated. Ironically, because of the more favor-
able preservation conditions underwater, evidence of collapse
tsunami may be more widespread on the continental shelf than
on land. Still, the low-lying, tectonically stable, non-glaciated
margins of west Africa, the southeast United States and north-
east Brazil, together with the Bahamas carbonate platform,
should be particularly suitable sites for geologists to search
for footprints of these occasional visitors.

Note the "If our models are correct" statement and the
further statement, "should be particularly suitable sites for
geologists to search for footprints of these occasional visitors"

In other words, "if our guess is correct you ought to be able to find
evidence of it somewhere" and the timing "several times in a million
years".

You would be far better to be preparing for the arrival of a gigantic
meteor like the one that has been postulated to have killed the
dinosaurs.

As I keep telling you, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and be
thought a fool then to open it and prove to the world just how foolish
you really are".

You might read the children's story about Chicken Little who ran about
the barnyard shouting "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".
--
Cheers,

Bruce