Default Poor Skippy, aground again.

This time it appears he ran afoul of Lily Bank much of which is awash at low
tide.

See his spot for details. Put it on hybrid view.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sep 28, 3:10*pm, "Gregory Hall"

Signed his post.

Wilbur Hubbard

Don't forget to check which account you are using before signing your
posts.

Looks like they are exploring to me. The movements are too large to
be SPOT fix drift if they were aground.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
On Sep 28, 3:10 pm, "Gregory Hall"

Signed his post.

Wilbur Hubbard

Don't forget to check which account you are using before signing your
posts.

Looks like they are exploring to me. The movements are too large to
be SPOT fix drift if they were aground.

--
Roger Long

I think Greg, who likes to spoof me, is right. Looks like they ran aground,
got off and probably ran aground again and again.

I think they are trying to work they way out of the shoals which are quite
extensive and not charted accurately as they are always shifting around.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

On Sep 28, 3:10*pm, "Gregory Hall"

Signed his post.

Wilbur Hubbard

Don't forget to check which account you are using before signing your
posts.

Looks like they are exploring to me. The movements are too large to
be SPOT fix drift if they were aground.

If there's anything Gregory Hall/Wilbur Hubbard knows about, it's
being on the hard.

He used to get wet once a year by taking a bath, but I think he even
stopped doing that.

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
This time it appears he ran afoul of Lily Bank much of which is awash at
low tide.

See his spot for details. Put it on hybrid view.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Wilbur Hubbard

Looks like he's STILL stuck. Probably has to wait out the tide hoping to
float back off. Might have to wait 24 hours if he went aground on the higher
high tide and, as the springs were at maximum about a week ago, tide range
is still close to maximum.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:53:06 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
This time it appears he ran afoul of Lily Bank much of which is awash at
low tide.

See his spot for details. Put it on hybrid view.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Wilbur Hubbard

Looks like he's STILL stuck. Probably has to wait out the tide hoping to
float back off. Might have to wait 24 hours if he went aground on the higher
high tide and, as the springs were at maximum about a week ago, tide range
is still close to maximum.

Wilbur Hubbard

His last reported position is 27-06.49N, 78-36.32W as of 10 hours ago.
My charts show 14 to 19 ft of water in that area and no navigational
hazards of any kind.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5...igposition.jpg

I think something else is going on but it's not clear what. My first
thought was that they'd anchored out on the banks to get some rest but
if so they should have been underway again by mid-day at the latest.
It's also possible that they forgot to reset their SPOT device and it
timed out or ran out of battery power.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...glId=0sKGa9AJR....

[...]

Well, if you dont run aground a lot, you are not trying hard enough to
have fun.

On Sep 28, 7:57*pm, Wayne.B wrote:

I think something else is going on but it's not clear what. * My first
thought was that they'd anchored out on the banks to get some rest but
if so they should have been underway again by mid-day at the latest.
It's also possible that they forgot to reset their SPOT device and it
timed out or ran out of battery power.

The SPOT runs for a very long time on batteries, much longer than
claimed in the instructions. However, tracking has to be restarted
every 24 hours which I've forgotten to do on some long trips.

I am a bit concerned myself though about the track prior to SPOT going
off. It's too larger to be just fix imprecision. It looks like a
search or random drifting to me.

They are probably OK because, unless there were a fire or sudden
flooding, I'm sure they would have pressed the "Help" or 911 button.
The keep the SPOT on the cabin top inside the dodger. Even if they
had to suddenly evacuate into the dinghy, they could have grabbed it.
If there was some problem during all that random motion, I'm sure
pushing the button to summon help would have occured to them.

--
Roger Long

wrote:

springs were at maximum about a week ago, tide range
is still close to maximum.

One week is the interval between max and min, when it comes to tides.
Just what exactly are you refering to?

Casady

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 04:20:51 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

They are probably OK because, unless there were a fire or sudden
flooding, I'm sure they would have pressed the "Help" or 911 button.

FP's SPOT device is back on the air as of 13 minutes ago. They have
made progress down towards Spanish Cay. Meanwhile our taxpayer
dollars have been funding a search party with a Falcon jet for some
number of hours. Out, out damned SPOT... I own one but am
beginning to think it might be a hazzard. It will be interesting to
hear the explanation, hope everyone's OK.

Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
What moon does Skippy look at? Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 5 August 9th 08 06:36 PM
Cruise Log from Skippy! Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 39 October 8th 07 08:03 AM
Hey NOYB, or Skippy, or whatever... JohnC General 17 October 28th 04 11:36 PM