Default Poor Skippy, aground again.

On Sep 29, 9:39*am, Wayne.B wrote:

Meanwhile our taxpayer
dollars have been funding a search party with a Falcon jet for some
number of hours. * Out, out damned SPOT... * *I own one but am
beginning to think it might be a hazzard. * It will be interesting to
hear the explanation, hope everyone's OK.

I'm very careful to tell all friends and family when distributing my
cruise plans and the SPOT link that they are NOT to worry or do
anything if the tracking stops. I tell them it's subject to outages
and forgetting to reset and tracking should be considered for fun only
and possibly helpful for route history in case a distress message is
sent out.

I think the Coast Guard jumped the gun on this search but they are
always trying to get airtime moved from the "training" column in the
budget to the "SAR" column so they were probably glad to go.

I'm very impressed with the SPOT unit after using it consistently for
two seasons. Like any other piece of equipment, it has to be used
properly. My preprogramed "Help" message includes a link to a web
page that includes everything SAR authorities might need to know and
complete instructions to receipients on what to do if they get a
message.

If I were going far offshore, I would also carry a standard EPIRB that
would automatically activate. My drill if I have to suddenly evacuate
due to catastrophic hull breach or fire is to grab the SPOT adn
portable VHF on the shelf next to the companionway and hit the red DSC
button on the main radio as I exit. SPOT would then be activated
from the dinghy. USCG is pretty apt to act quickly if they get a DSC
call including my GPS location and shortly after get a call from the
SPOT response center with the same location.

The think I like most about SPOT, next to the tracking, is the ability
to have friends or family privately send help such as SeaTow or a
local harbormaster instead of mobilizing the full resources of the
Coast Guard. There could be many situations in which this would be
more appropriate such as medical emergency or mechanical breakdown.

I also take it when I go ashore on remote islands now. I didn't
during the incident in May and it could have saved our butts. The
SPOT response center doesn't think in marine only terms so they will
respond just as quickly to an alert from the middle of an island or
city somewhere as from an on water location. It now goes in my pocket
for all island hiking expeditions.

--
Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
On Sep 29, 9:39 am, Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

It is fairly fundamental that one understands the difference between
"force" and "baked beans" or "energy".

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:

It is fairly fundamental that one understands the difference between
"force" and "baked beans" or "energy".

...or one thread and another..

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:20:05 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

I also take it when I go ashore on remote islands now. I didn't
during the incident in May and it could have saved our butts. The
SPOT response center doesn't think in marine only terms so they will
respond just as quickly to an alert from the middle of an island or
city somewhere as from an on water location. It now goes in my pocket
for all island hiking expeditions.

Other then allowing friends and relatives to track your cruise, it
think the biggest value for the SPOT is exactly as you describe: In
the dinghy or remote hiking. I have a registered EPIRB but would
never take it in the dinghy under normal circumstances because it is
too bulky, too expensive and has too much risk of accidental
activation. An EPIRB also triggers a full SAR effort when it is
activated which is not always appropriate as you point out.

On the other hand there is very real risk of getting into trouble with
the dinghy when operating in remote areas. It has happened to others
when engines have failed at inopportune times, and wind or current has
prevented rowing back to the mother ship. It is also important to
carry a decent anchor and rode in the dinghy for the same reason.

Default Poor Skippy, aground again. Coast Guard search called off . . .

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 04:20:51 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

They are probably OK because, unless there were a fire or sudden
flooding, I'm sure they would have pressed the "Help" or 911 button.

FP's SPOT device is back on the air as of 13 minutes ago. They have
made progress down towards Spanish Cay. Meanwhile our taxpayer
dollars have been funding a search party with a Falcon jet for some
number of hours. Out, out damned SPOT... I own one but am
beginning to think it might be a hazzard. It will be interesting to
hear the explanation, hope everyone's OK.

I just heard on local AM radio, 610 WIOD, that the Coast Guard has called
off the search for Flying Pig because they found it safely anchored off
Abaco Island.

I wonder who called the Coast Guard?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:53:06 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

springs were at maximum about a week ago, tide range
is still close to maximum.

One week is the interval between max and min, when it comes to tides.
Just what exactly are you refering to?

Casady

There was an unusually high series of springs a week or two ago due to the
Moon being at perigee and in line with the Sun on the Sun side of the Earth.
High highs were extreme and up to two feet above normal tidal range. Not a
good time to run aground.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:48:47 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote this crap:

Other then allowing friends and relatives to track your cruise, it
think the biggest value for the SPOT is exactly as you describe: In
the dinghy or remote hiking. I have a registered EPIRB but would
never take it in the dinghy under normal circumstances because it is
too bulky, too expensive

Really? mine is barely bigger than a cell phone and costs nothing to
use. Somebody is ripping you off.

Vote for Palin-Ahhhnold in 2012.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

"Bloody Horvath" wrote in message

Really? mine is barely bigger than a cell phone and costs nothing to
use.

So, your stripper girlfriend gives it up for free but I wouldn't go around
bragging how poorly hung you are.

--
Gregory Hall

Bob Bob is offline

SKip and his "concerned friends" should be
ashamed......................

I think he is better suited for a star roll in Whale Wars, another
ship of fools who desrve each other.

Bob.

"Bob" wrote in message
SKip and his "concerned friends" should be
ashamed......................

I think he is better suited for a star roll in Whale Wars, another
ship of fools who desrve each other.

Bob.

I tried to tell poor Skippy, time and time again, to forego most of the way
too many electrical gadgets he seems addicted to because they end up causing
more trouble than they are worth but will he listen to reason? Nope! This
latest debacle is just more proof of the validity of my words.

And, have I also not cautioned against 'sailing by committee?' It appears
Skippy did not listen with respect to this sound advice either. Apparently,
some committee member called the Coast Guard totally unnecessarily. Sad.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
What moon does Skippy look at? Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 5 August 9th 08 06:36 PM
Cruise Log from Skippy! Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 39 October 8th 07 08:03 AM
Hey NOYB, or Skippy, or whatever... JohnC General 17 October 28th 04 11:36 PM