Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Poor Captain Skippy - his boat might never sail again.

" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Bwahahaha!

tinyurl.com/FlyingPigSpot

Top 12.7, average 8.7 BOAT (through the water) knots, held down by a wait
for a bridge on the way out...

More in the log to come, but all that work on the bottom paid off in
spades. It was getting, toward the end, when the wind dropped to 10 and
we had a counter-current of a couple of knots, that we griped about
"only" making 7+ SOG with mid-8s to 10+ BOAT...

No, the engine wasn't running until the turn into the channel. Boy, does
she SAIL!

Skippy, you don't seem to have a clue about apparent wind. If the wind
from the south dropped to to ten knots and you were heading north at
8 knots then your apparent wind would only be two knots from astern.

A two-knot wind from astern can't possibly push you along at 8 knots.
You must have had one hell of a favorable current. :-)

Indeed, I didn't specify the time we had our 10 knots. It was a beam reach,
moving toward a close reach (60° to 90° apparent).

One of the reasons we turned in was the change in wind direction, expected
from our forecast. Indeed, we waited slightly too long, as it didn't HAVE
to be that close a reach. So, the true wind was likely more toward our
stern quarter, moved forward by our unexpectedly fast forward motion.

Either way, as it's a relatively straight line, you can calculate it for
yourself as to how far we went (close to 100 miles without the
entrances/channels) in under 12 hours from the time we cleared the 17th
Street bridge to anchor down and lights out by looking at the spot page.

But, I'm happy you're happy with the results of your bottom job. I
sure hope you take full advantage of it in the next six months because
that is about all the time you have before large blisters start popping
up again.

--
Sir Gregory

Heh. We'll see. There weren't any blisters when we tackled it, either, so
I very much doubt we'll have to deal with that. Our shakedown may show
other things which need attention, but we don't expect blisters to be among
them. FWIW, there can't possibly be anything growing on our bottom, as fast
as we were going...

And, sorry, Neal, but I think we're going to do a very thorough shakedown in
the form of another East Coast swing this summer, so we'll have to wait
until another day (unless it's unusually cold in April, when we'd start, in
which case we might swing down that way first) to come for that beer.

L8R, y'all

Skip, going to bed early after a late night on the computer catching up last
night...