Default Capsize

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:43:16 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

You think the guy's large screen TV will keep the boat from capsizing?

It has always worked for us.

wrote:

You think the guy's large screen TV will keep the boat from capsizing?

It has always worked for us.

When the weather threatens, you take it over the side and bolt it onto
the centerboard to increase the area. You can run an air wrench from
the hose with the breathing air.

Casady

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:19:50 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
snip

Simply brilliant...Tis that why you stow the bucket in your bildge?

LOL! Did you flunk out of the same sixth grade class as Bruce? Try 'bilge.'

Real sailors can spell nautical words.

Wilbur Hubbard

Willie-boy, telling lies is not going to cover up the fact that you
didn't know that phoney can be spelled two ways - phony, as the
Americans spell it and phoney as the rest of the world says.

However, as they say, a rose by any other name will smell as sweet and
Willie-boy is just as much a phoney no matter how you spell it.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 17:29:02 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

You think the guy's large screen TV will keep the boat from capsizing?

It has always worked for us.

When the weather threatens, you take it over the side and bolt it onto
the centerboard to increase the area.

Nah. We just fasten it down a little more securely in rough seas.

wrote:
You think the guy's large screen TV will keep the boat from capsizing?

It has always worked for us.

When the weather threatens, you take it over the side and bolt it onto
the centerboard to increase the area.

Nah. * We just fasten it down a little more securely in rough seas.

I think the weight of the extra batteries he had down low countered
the weight of the large screen TV.

Vic Smith wrote:

Ballast (-:
These boats don't capsize if the water ballast is taken care of.
They can get knocked down like any sailboat but won't turtle if
ballasted. Mast is foam-filled too.
I wouldn't think of putting a TV on a boat, but the Max 26 is highly
customizable.
There's a guy called Madmike Dunn with a 26 X that has all kinds of
stuff installed, including A/C, watermaker, 2k generator, wind and
solar power, 3 OB motors, dinghy, etc,etc.
When trekking kept only potable water in his ballast tank with a pump
system I think.
He's also changed the running gear, centerboard, rudders, mast, and
who knows what else.
He's a former "expedition leader" and a veritable legend on the
MacGregor forum.
Think he's a VP at North Sails now.
Taken his Mac all over the place sailing from the Arctic to S.
America, into the interior on the Amazon, etc.
Hove to on a sea anchor in heavy seas, the whole nine yards.
Not sure of the whole story, but he's posted many of his mods on the
MacGregor forum.
He's said the boat can never be a good sailer, but can be greatly
improved.
Don't know why he chose the Mac 26, but I guess because the shell
and basic design suited his purposes.
Good shell and shallow draft is the big deal I think.
Haven't been in one myself, but would like to take a look.

1st of april story, I got you there !

B.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 06:33:17 +0700, Bruce wrote:

The more weight one puts high in the accommodation (TV's, microwave
ovens, etc) and on deck (photovoltaics and wind generators) the higher
up will be the righting moment. IOW, the more likely it is that the boat
will capsize.

Wilbur Hubbard

However the rate of roll will be less. every cloud has a silver lining.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce,

I'm curious as to why you spend so much time arguing with the invincibly
ignorant willie boy? The guy who doesn't know the difference between
righting moment and center of gravity.

He does indeed display great ignorance with his every post. That is why
I dropped willie and his aliases into my killfile. Doing so made this
newsgroup for more pleasant. I wouldn't even know he was here if you and
a few others didn't bother answering him.

I enjoy reading your lucid and often witty replies, but still wonder why
you find him worth your time.

I'm just curious. I have no axe to grind.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:44:38 GMT, whatever
wrote:

[...]

Boredom :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
mmc mmc is offline

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:45:33 +0000, (Barnabé) wrote:

Frogwatch wrote:

The guy I know who crossed from Fort Lauderdale to MArsh harbor ina
Mac26 has it set up more luxurious than my house. He has a LArge
screen TV aboard ( I dont even have a small screen tv at home), AC,
stereo, stove hot water shower, microwave, memory foam matress, etc,
etc. Amazing the stuff he put aboard. Oh, a wind generator and solar
too.

And he really thinks these will prevent her from capsizing ?

[...]

--Vic
======

So do it. Find a Mac 26 owner in your area and go for a ride. Sailors are
usually happy to introduce new people to sailing.
If you find you like the boat (and sailing) then there is no reason not to
start NOW. If the boat is too pricey, get something else and at least learn
and enjoy the sport until you can get the boat you want.
There are a bunch of boats that fit on trailers and you don't have to live
in FL to be a sailor, some of the most beautiful sailing is not on salt
water. And fresh water is MUCH kinder to all the metal pieces/parts that go
on boats.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:24:27 -0400, "MMC" wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

Haven't been in one myself, but would like to take a look.

--Vic
======

So do it. Find a Mac 26 owner in your area and go for a ride. Sailors are
usually happy to introduce new people to sailing.
If you find you like the boat (and sailing) then there is no reason not to
start NOW. If the boat is too pricey, get something else and at least learn
and enjoy the sport until you can get the boat you want.
There are a bunch of boats that fit on trailers and you don't have to live
in FL to be a sailor, some of the most beautiful sailing is not on salt
water. And fresh water is MUCH kinder to all the metal pieces/parts that go
on boats.

All in due time, or never.
Nowhere I want to boat up here. Can't hardly imagine even getting on
a boat without fishing being at least a possibility.
No good fishing up here, and none I would eat.
Don't care to fish for "sport" per se.
The "sports" boating killed the fishing up here.
I'm not a "sports boater." I'm a fish-eating fisherman.
Never liked burning gas. When fishing was good up here I'd row more
than motor.
Besides, once I fished salt water and tasted some grouper, sand perch,
red fish and sheepshead, I never wanted to fish fresh again.
Reason I like the "idea" of the Mac is mostly so I could fish
overnight, maybe for a week at a time.
Fry up some fish right on the boat.
Then fish some more. Sleep, fish, cook some more fish, sleep.
Maybe do some other things too.
Do that for a week, come home for a week, then repeat.
The Mac is a light, inexpensive and roomy boat and gets good mileage
when powered at 5 knots. Sails are just a bonus for when gas hits 6
bucks.
Might be enjoyable sailing on a reach or downwind, but I'll probably
mostly leave beating to the others.
Had my share of that crossing a rough Lake Michigan once as crew on
much bigger and better boat than a Mac.
Miserable. But it was also near freezing. so maybe I'm prejudiced.
Anyway, you have a good point about getting a ride.
I'm going to be down in Florida in a few months for vacation and I'm
going to see about that.
Might tip the scales with my wife to agree to move down there.
She loves to fish and boat. And fries up some mean fish fillets.
So thanks for prodding me!

--Vic

Capsize Prevention Vic Smith Cruising 100 October 28th 09 02:47 AM
Capsize Prevention Vic Smith General 100 October 21st 09 11:53 AM
preventing capsize Frogwatch[_2_] General 10 June 25th 09 02:38 PM
Capsize in Jamestown... [email protected] General 1 October 13th 07 02:30 AM
Lessons from a capsize Alex McGruer General 0 July 2nd 03 01:42 AM