Barnabé Barnabé is offline

Default Capsize

Vic Smith wrote:

Ballast (-:
These boats don't capsize if the water ballast is taken care of.
They can get knocked down like any sailboat but won't turtle if
ballasted. Mast is foam-filled too.
I wouldn't think of putting a TV on a boat, but the Max 26 is highly
customizable.
There's a guy called Madmike Dunn with a 26 X that has all kinds of
stuff installed, including A/C, watermaker, 2k generator, wind and
solar power, 3 OB motors, dinghy, etc,etc.
When trekking kept only potable water in his ballast tank with a pump
system I think.
He's also changed the running gear, centerboard, rudders, mast, and
who knows what else.
He's a former "expedition leader" and a veritable legend on the
MacGregor forum.
Think he's a VP at North Sails now.
Taken his Mac all over the place sailing from the Arctic to S.
America, into the interior on the Amazon, etc.
Hove to on a sea anchor in heavy seas, the whole nine yards.
Not sure of the whole story, but he's posted many of his mods on the
MacGregor forum.
He's said the boat can never be a good sailer, but can be greatly
improved.
Don't know why he chose the Mac 26, but I guess because the shell
and basic design suited his purposes.
Good shell and shallow draft is the big deal I think.
Haven't been in one myself, but would like to take a look.

1st of april story, I got you there !

B.