Default Capsize

26 ft sail boat capsizes in San Diego bay.

3 guesses what boat brand, first two don't count.

Hint: It's built in SoCal.

Lew

Lots of confusion about this story so far... But, I find it hard to imagine how
a legitimate rental outfit could be in full compliance with the law, renting a
boat in San Diego with New Jersey registration numbers, coupled with an
expiration sticker from the state of Indiana... If this was indeed a rental, I
suspect somebody is gonna be in deep doo...

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:35:39 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

26 ft sail boat capsizes in San Diego bay.

3 guesses what boat brand, first two don't count.

Hint: It's built in SoCal.

Lew

Here's a link to the story with all of the details:

http://www.10news.com/news/27351403/detail.html

wrote:

26 ft sail boat capsizes in San Diego bay.

3 guesses what boat brand, first two don't count.

Hint: It's built in SoCal.

Lew

Here's a link to the story with all of the details:

http://www.10news.com/news/27351403/detail.html

Think they got the boat wrong. I think it's a Mac 25.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/28...at-expedition/
Pic of actual boat, with off-center cutout for OB.
Mac 25 cutout is on centerline.
Cast iron swing keel, no water ballast.
Mac 26 is water ballast, centerboard.

--Vic

wrote:

26 ft sail boat capsizes in San Diego bay.

3 guesses what boat brand, first two don't count.

Hint: It's built in SoCal.

Lew

Here's a link to the story with all of the details:

http://www.10news.com/news/27351403/detail.html

Think they got the boat wrong. I think it's a Mac 25.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/28...at-expedition/
Pic of actual boat, with off-center cutout for OB.
*****Mac 25 cutout is on centerline.******
Cast iron swing keel, no water ballast.
Mac 26 is water ballast, centerboard.

--Vic

Correction: Mac 26 cutout is on centerline.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

26 ft sail boat capsizes in San Diego bay.

3 guesses what boat brand, first two don't count.

Hint: It's built in SoCal.

Lew

Here's a link to the story with all of the details:

http://www.10news.com/news/27351403/detail.html

Think they got the boat wrong. I think it's a Mac 25.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/28...at-expedition/
Pic of actual boat, with off-center cutout for OB.
*****Mac 25 cutout is on centerline.******
Cast iron swing keel, no water ballast.
Mac 26 is water ballast, centerboard.

--Vic

Correction: Mac 26 cutout is on centerline.

If it was a Mac 25, a key factor may be whether the swing keel
was raised or lowered. From my experience with a WindRose 18
with a swing keel, the position makes a big difference in
stability.

It also seems to me that 10 people is aobut 4 too many for
that size boat. You can't put them all in the cockpit
and you can't sail safely with novices forward of the
mast. I wonder if they even had 10 life jackets aboard.

Mark Borgerson

On 3/29/2011 9:38 AM, Mark Borgerson wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

It seems like a repeat of the incident in the east (New York?) about a
decade ago. 10 people in the cockpit of a sailboat like the MacGregor
built boats is a perfect set up for an accident.

As the song goes "When will they ever learn.", but since history is
considered unimportant, they never will.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/28...n-diego-sailbo....
[...]

10 people? What were they thinking? Witnesses say the board was up
giving her no stability. Blaming MaCgregor for this is stupid. This
would be like putting 6 people on a Catalina 22 in 25 kt wind with
oversized sails and expecting it work out well.

wrote:

[...]

::
:: 10 people? What were they thinking? Witnesses say the board was up
:: giving her no stability. Blaming MaCgregor for this is stupid. This
:: would be like putting 6 people on a Catalina 22 in 25 kt wind with
:: oversized sails and expecting it work out well.

There is a water ballast tank that should have been filled but probably
wasn't. Those Mac26's won't get up on plane unless the water ballast tank is
emptied and sometimes people forget to fill the darned thing again before
they raise the sails. I've seen a couple of those things at anchor with
empty ballast tank. A stiff wind of about 30 knots blowing on the bare mast
and rigging heels them about 20 degrees. It's sad to call the darned things
a sailboat. They are a more of a motor boat with auxiliary sails.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Mark Borgerson" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Looks like an older Mac26. Probably a Mac26C which does have water ballast.

http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/pdf/1340.pdf

Wilbur Hubbard

Capsize Prevention Vic Smith Cruising 100 October 28th 09 02:47 AM
Capsize Prevention Vic Smith General 100 October 21st 09 11:53 AM
preventing capsize Frogwatch[_2_] General 10 June 25th 09 02:38 PM
Capsize in Jamestown... [email protected] General 1 October 13th 07 02:30 AM
Lessons from a capsize Alex McGruer General 0 July 2nd 03 01:42 AM