Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Capsize

On Mar 29, 9:50*am, k-nuttle wrote:
On 3/29/2011 9:38 AM, Mark Borgerson wrote:

In ,
says...

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 07:47:23 -0500, Vic Smith
*wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:21:00 -0400, Wayne.B
*wrote:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:35:39 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
*wrote:

26 ft sail boat capsizes in San Diego bay.

3 guesses what boat brand, first two don't count.

Hint: It's built in SoCal.

Lew

Here's a link to the story with all of the details:

http://www.10news.com/news/27351403/detail.html

Think they got the boat wrong. * I think it's a Mac 25.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/28...n-diego-sailbo....
Pic of actual boat, with off-center cutout for OB.
*****Mac 25 cutout is on centerline.******
Cast iron swing keel, no water ballast.
Mac 26 is water ballast, centerboard.

--Vic

Correction: Mac 26 cutout is on centerline.

If it was a Mac 25, a key factor may be whether the swing keel
was raised or lowered. *From my experience with a WindRose 18
with a swing keel, *the position makes a big difference in
stability.

It also seems to me that *10 people is aobut 4 too many for
that size boat. *You can't put them all in the cockpit
and you can't sail safely with novices forward of the
mast. * I wonder if they even had 10 life jackets aboard.

Mark Borgerson

It seems like a repeat of the incident in the east (New York?) about a
decade ago. *10 people in the cockpit of a sailboat like the MacGregor
built boats is a perfect set up for an accident.

As the song goes "When will they ever learn.", but since history is
considered unimportant, they never will.

10 people? What were they thinking? Witnesses say the board was up
giving her no stability. Blaming MaCgregor for this is stupid. This
would be like putting 6 people on a Catalina 22 in 25 kt wind with
oversized sails and expecting it work out well.