Default how necessary is a windlass

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:36:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

There is ONE good thing that can be said about windlasses. They encourage
adequately-sized anchors for the boat in question.

Too often I have seen forty-footers anchoring up with a 25 pound imitation
Danforth or cheap imitation plow of similar weight or, worse yet, one of
those ten-pound aluminum anchors. Too often have I seen them dragging if the
wind blows more than 20 knots.

Since weight becomes less of a factor when a windlass is used, I notice how
properly-sized anchors for the size of the boat are more often in evidence
to the benefit of all concerned.

Those are all excellent points.

wrote:

There is ONE good thing that can be said about windlasses. They encourage
adequately-sized anchors for the boat in question.

Too often I have seen forty-footers anchoring up with a 25 pound imitation
Danforth or cheap imitation plow of similar weight or, worse yet, one of
those ten-pound aluminum anchors. Too often have I seen them dragging if
the
wind blows more than 20 knots.

Since weight becomes less of a factor when a windlass is used, I notice
how
properly-sized anchors for the size of the boat are more often in evidence
to the benefit of all concerned.

Those are all excellent points.

Thanks. Many of my replies contain some degree of excellence but it
sometimes takes a more intelligent and discerning reader than the likes of
Bruce, for example, to realize it.

Wilbur Hubbard

What battery for windlass? [email protected] Cruising 13 May 26th 08 09:25 PM
Windlass wiring jonasb Boat Building 3 May 25th 05 04:05 PM
Windlass on an Alura 35 Clarence Bell General 0 January 7th 05 12:15 AM
Windlass advice Gary General 6 August 21st 04 03:47 PM
Anybody need a windlass? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 0 September 23rd 03 12:43 AM