Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default how necessary is a windlass

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:36:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

There is ONE good thing that can be said about windlasses. They encourage
adequately-sized anchors for the boat in question.

Too often I have seen forty-footers anchoring up with a 25 pound imitation
Danforth or cheap imitation plow of similar weight or, worse yet, one of
those ten-pound aluminum anchors. Too often have I seen them dragging if the
wind blows more than 20 knots.

Since weight becomes less of a factor when a windlass is used, I notice how
properly-sized anchors for the size of the boat are more often in evidence
to the benefit of all concerned.

Those are all excellent points.