Default Cannibal

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
http://captainneal.wordpress.com/

Please don't be envious of how my boat shines and Flying Pig is sort of
all
dull and chalky looking.

Wilbur Hubbard

I see you took off that fancy rig for lifting/storing the dinghy. I see
you also got another new engine (well, at least there's a white one in
this, and the others I see are black).

You got things confused. The picture on top is the OLD picture from several
years ago. The ones down below are the new pictures.

And made a LOT of topsides improvements since seen in the yard when you
were doing some other work (apparently redoing the stripe at the top and
other trim items which hadn't been done in your original yard shots).

Yes, I've been sanding and painting. Still have some to go but the weather
has been too windy for much work standing in the dinghy and trying to sand
and paint so I'm biding my time. It will calm down soon enough.

The paint job, and all the improvements, especially cosmetic ones, make
her look just like she must have 20 or 30 years ago! Taking off the name
was a good idea, too...

The name is still on the topsides. People have to know what boat is sailing
past them so fast. . .

Come to think of it, it looks so good that it could be used in a brochure!

Thanks for the compliment. I like a boat that looks simple and uncluttered.
You will note the newer photos look less cluttered than the older one at the
top.

Wilbur Hubbard

Now, you're gonna get it since I have some typing time . . .

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, again :{))

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Wrong, Dumbo! You show what type of sailor YOU are with the above
dunderheadedness. (Can you say 'fair weather sailor') It just so happens
some us sail in gale or near gale conditions. Under those conditions
external halyards are slapping all over the freaking place when sails are
raised. It becomes even more of a whipfest when lowering the sails and
you know, Bruce, what goes up must come down. Duh! Everybody with those
pile of junk triangular mast loops will end up with a halyard tangled in
them when dousing sail. And, they will be stuck at the worst time with
flogging, flailing, out of control sails when they least want or need it.
This will require a trip up the mast CAUSED BY THE VERY STEPS that are
supposed to make it less likely that one will need to ascend the mast
under emergency conditions. Dumb, stupid, lame and bordering on the
pathetic, I say.

Speaking of pathetic...

I have well over 100# of mainsail. It's heavy enough that even jumping I
can't pull up the last foot or so; I winch it before cleating off, rather
than just tensioning the halyard. I CONTROL the line as I flake the sail.
That means I let it slip through my (bare) hand while I have my hand on
the sail to control how it falls. There is NO slack in the halyard, let
alone enough to go around a step.

It sounds to me like you need to lubricate the sail slugs or the sail track.
It shouldn't be that difficult to raise the mainsail. And, here's a trick
for you since you apparently have not learned it yourself. Raise the
mainsail as far as you can by strength alone - do not jump up and down. Then
take a wrap or two around the cleat and PULL OUT on the halyard. This will
leverage it up to the top (provided the boom goose neck isn't fixed). Then
cleat off the halyard, and push down on the boom at the gooseneck and tie
and cleat the downhaul line. Your method of lowering the mainsail and
letting the halyard slide through your fingers will result in a significant
belly in the halyard that in any kind of a stiff wind will be flopping all
over the place due to wind and seas and this belly is what gets tangled in
the crappy mast steps you have installed.

And, you've not been paying attention, either. I only want _1_ more, so I
can stand at the top of the mast. If the conditions were so severe as to
cause my otherwise-taut (I keep it taut when I've lowered the sail, and
the weight of the sail keeps it reasonably taut as I'm lowering it)
halyard to managed to navigate a 5" (not counting the half-depth mast)
step to foul on it, at (you work out the math; the step will be about 2.5'
down from the pulley exit, which is about 1" off center, and the mast has
an 8" cross section) a reasonably broad angle. Carry that angle down even
half (considering the possibility of "catenary" due to the wind, which
would have to be abeam [thus providing a gravity equivalent so that the
theory is similar when turned 90*], unlikely when stowing sails), and it
is probably close to the shroud. Ain't gonna happen :{))

It will foul eventually - don't be so naive. And, when it fouls there's
gonna be hell to pay. BELIEVE IT. If something bad can happen, it will
happen. That's Murphy's law.

So much discussion about the proposed TOP mast step when you have a series
of lower ones that will give you nothing but trouble. Boy, Skippy, you need
to look at the whole picture.

So, I conclude that the massive sail on that yacht of yours is more than
you can handle by controlling the halyard, and so you use folding steps
that only a child's shod foot can fit within (never mind the lack of a
means of not sliding off the side if you got the least bit of lift causing
that pitiful little edge on the plate they give you for safety to be
meangless).

My mast steps are 6" wide. Measure your foot, not length-wise but sideways.
If your foot is over six inches wide then you're a freak. As for my foot
slipping off the outer end, it's never happened and it's never come close to
happening. And, even if it should happen, a wise climber NEVER allows
himself to be supported by one appendage only.

Maybe Jessica would come sail with you and handle that chore for you, and
you'd have this lovely, flaked, sail without burgeoning your tender little
hands....

Duh! Another sign that you are clueless. When anchoring under sail one
doesn't waste time flaking the mainsail when dousing it. One lets it fall
down on and around the boom any way it wishes to fall. Only after other
necessary anchoring chores are completed does the captain or crew return to
the mast and flake the sail adding gaskets as he flakes the sail from the
outer end of the boom to the inner end. You, obviously don't quite have sail
handling down to an art yet. Practice some more and come back when you have
it down, please.

L8R

Skip, down from the top of the mast today, stopping in the middle just for
fun (to measure how far that halyard would have to fly to get around my
step, of course!)

As he ignores in his arrogance the pile of junk steps he's used to get up to
the top. LOL!

Skippy, you're a real hoot.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce" wrote in message
snip

Willie, lets be honest. You don't sail in a gale, or near gale,
conditions. You don't sail at all, excepting your recent bay safari,
so your knowledge of gale conditions is limited to whatever book you
are reading this week.

You don't even believe video proof so what am I to do? Pay your air fare so
your fat, skeptical ass can come aboard and see for yourself? But, even that
course of action would likely fail as you would probably get seasick the
instant your back foot stepped onto my fine bluewater yacht.

So the external halyards are slapping all over the place. Which
halyards are those, pray tell? You can't have modified your boat to
run the halyards external to the mast have you? On the other hand, you
may well have, knowing you.

My fine yacht was manufactured in the year of our Lord 1971 AD (or RE as it
is now often called due to political correctness). Back in those days, they
built, long-lasting, trouble-free purist boats. Internal halyards were (and
remain still) anathema to trouble free sailing and easy maintenance.
External halyards are superior in just about every conceivable way over
internal halyards. My halyards are wire rope/double braid line hybrids. When
the sails are topped there is just enough of a length of double braid to
allowed the halyard to be made fast (cleated off). The remainder consists of
wire rope that doesn't stretch and this allows the luffs to remain nice and
straight for better performance to weather.

But, internal or external what halyards are you referring to? You've
got your mainsail halyard that is hooked to either your reefed main or
a storm trysail and you've got your jib halyard hooked to your jib,
whatever kind you have bent on. Both halyards have tension on them and
a tight halyard doesn't flail around.

Yah, right one is going to spend his time tensioning halyards when one's
first priority is to get properly anchored in a crowed anchorage? But, I
guess a dock dweller doesn't anchor so you wouldn't know about this, now
would you?

Duh, more proof of your armchair sailor status. I guess you've never learned
how to anchor under sail, single-handed. If you had you would know that the
halyards of the lowered sails do, indeed, flail around and if there are mast
steps for them wrap around they will wrap around them. If you have any snags
on a sailboat they WILL snag something eventually. Consequently, only a
MORON purposefully installs potential snags. Only a bigger MORON argues
about the efficacy of doing so out of ignorance like you are now doing.

I can tell that you have been reading books again with your stories of
flogging sails and flailing lines....

But what is that is going to require your emergency trip up the mast
in the teeth of a howling gale?

It most certainly won't be to replace an 'internal' halyard that takes a
trip to the yard to unstep the mast unless there happens to be a messenger
line in place which I doubt even you, in your infinite wisdom, (yah right)
have in place. It is a very simple matter to replace an external halyard. As
a matter of fact my spinnaker halyard is so simple to clip onto the fitting
at the masthead that I don't even bother to keep the spinnaker halyard
installed unless and until I decide I'd like to do a nice spinnaker run. Try
that with an internal halyard. LOL!

I know that those sailing books are exciting, especially to the
neophyte, but put the books aside and actually take a trip on the
boat. Even down the bay and back. Maybe you'll learn something.....
maybe.

Reading and then DOING is the key to learning. You've learned nothing
because, although your might read you've been sitting around the docks and
otherwise have been a lubber for 35 some odd years now. So sad!

It is only at anchor when the sails are down and the halyards dangling
there beside the mast that they get all snarled up in the steps.

Wrong. See above. And, you probably have a lubberly roll-up headsail
system
so you KNOW NOTHING about nor are you even able to remove a too-large
headsail and bend on a storm jib, for example when the wind has gotten up.
So the jib halyard snarls up around a bunch of ill-conceived mast steps
and
you can neither get the too large sail down nor bend on the just right
sail.
I can see now why you failed in your circumnavigation, Bruce.

Willie-boy there you go again. Remove a too large headsail.... and I
thought you were a sailor.what in the world are you doing with this
monster headsail up in a storm?

Never heard of reefing as the winds increase so as to have the proper press
of sail for the contitions on hand. One takes a reef or two in the mainsail
via slab reefing on my fine blue water yacht to reef down. One unhanks a
too-large sail and hanks back on a sail suited to the increasing winds. When
doing so, the halyard will be quite slack unless one clips the bitter end to
some deck eye and hauls it tight. But that would be very stupid and
dangerous going back and forth to the cleat. Duh! Instead one lowers the
headsail, then one proceeds to unhank it leaving the halyard attached so it
doesn't carry away. Then one hanks on the smaller sail from bottom to top
and switches the halyard. Then one switches the sheets and then one raises
the headsail and sheets it in. A simple procces tha one should NEVER clutter
up or slow down by making sure the halyard is always taunt.

Learn how to sail, Rube. Loose the wind-ups and you might actually learn
what real sailing is all about.

snipped remainder of clueless and idiotic ramblings of a dock-dwelling
wannabe

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:46:42 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Willie, lets be honest. You don't sail in a gale, or near gale,
conditions. You don't sail at all, excepting your recent bay safari,
so your knowledge of gale conditions is limited to whatever book you
are reading this week.

You don't even believe video proof so what am I to do? Pay your air fare so
your fat, skeptical ass can come aboard and see for yourself? But, even that
course of action would likely fail as you would probably get seasick the
instant your back foot stepped onto my fine bluewater yacht.

Willie, to be evidence the video has to show you aboard the boat and
the boat sailing. The video you claim for proof simply shows a boring
view over the S.B. side. Could have been anybody's boat. Certainly no
evidence that you were aboard.

Rather like all your claims.
Cheers,

Bruce

Wilbur, Wilbur...

Jessica must have made you go soft. The below is nothing as compared to
some of your earlier works. Wilbur, I thought I knew ye...

It's so insipid I can't even give you the usual satire points, let alone
riposte your egregious mistakes in your encyclopedic knowledge of us and
our fine home.. Who are you, and what have you done with Wilbur???

L8R

Skip, disappointed in your failure to deliver on your earlier promise :{))

PS I apologize, but as of tomorrow morning I'll be in work mode, so I may
not visit very often, computer time being reserved for after-hours only...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:00:32 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:06:20 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Ewwww. I would never do a common hot tub anywhere. I've heard of women
actually getting pregant from sitting in one of those things. I certainly
would not trust the sanitation methods. If a not so tough spermatozoa can
survive I'd guess things like the herpes virus and the human papaloma
virus
would absolutely thrive.

I doubt it... there is so much chlorine... lots of regulations out
here for that. I don't use it because of that and you can't have any
alcohol and there's a curfew. Too many rules.

You'd think that but it's not necessarily so. Didn't you hear the stories a
couple years ago where some of the VA hospitals were spreading HIV/AIDS and
Hepatitus C because they weren't sterilizing colonoscopy equipment properly?
And, that's a hospital. Who is responsible for health threats in a public
hot tub? Some janitor? Think about it.

Believe me... you can feel the chems in the pool. I don't go in unless
I'm desperate. Friends live down the street, so it's no big deal to
hop on the bike or even walk.

Red wine is good because of the anti-oxidants. But, beer has good stuff in
it as well. Hey, if you don't like foamy beer than stop shaking it or
chill
it some more. LOL

LOL... I should be the servant for my brother, since he's got a nasty
habit of shaking it up before he hands it to me.

That guy's a real hoot! Well, at least he probably taught you caution.

Yeah... so funny. I especially loved it right after I took a shower.

I'm going to send you an email... got a couple of questions... I'll do
that when I get back from the gym.

Promises, promises! :-(

Didn't you get it?? I haven't seen a reply...

Never saw hide nor hair of it, Jessica. I even went back and checked the
junk mail in case it got put in there somehow and I checked the deleted mail
folder in case it got in there by mistake and there's no sign of a recent
e-mail from you at all. The last one I got was dated March 2nd and I
answered that one.

Yes... sorry...

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Wilbur, Wilbur...

Jessica must have made you go soft. The below is nothing as compared to
some of your earlier works. Wilbur, I thought I knew ye...

It's so insipid I can't even give you the usual satire points, let alone
riposte your egregious mistakes in your encyclopedic knowledge of us and
our fine home.. Who are you, and what have you done with Wilbur???

L8R

Skip, disappointed in your failure to deliver on your earlier promise :{))

PS I apologize, but as of tomorrow morning I'll be in work mode, so I may
not visit very often, computer time being reserved for after-hours only...

LOL, consider this fact: Anybody who can render Skippy speechless is doing
something right!

When Skippy has no valid response for the many valid points I made
concerning sail handling, it just might indicate Skippy has no defense for
the INVALID points he has proffered as stand operating procedure.

As for work mode, YES! Start by compiling a long list of lubberly items you
carry aboard - items which do little more than require your constant
attention because of maintenance issues which keep you from learning the
basics such as navigation and sail handling.

After you have completed the list, give serious consideration to lightening
the "Flying Pig" by several thousand pounds by removing said items and
gracing a nearby dumpster with them.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. And, while you are working hard you can send
Lydia down to the Keys where I shall be happy to give her a few sailing
lessons so she can teach you how it SHOULD be done on a lightened,
simplified and faster "Flying Pig." I'll even be pleased to give her an
informal class on plotting a course that takes advantage of wind and current
instead of a course that actually has the wind and current working against
the hapless occupants of aforementioned cruising yacht.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Flying wrote in message
[...]

You should concentrate on picking a new hull color for that dilapidated
scow of yours.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
Simplify, simplify, simplify. And, while you are working hard you can send
Lydia down to the Keys where I shall be happy to give her a few sailing
lessons so she can teach you how it SHOULD be done on a lightened,
simplified and faster "Flying Pig." I'll even be pleased to give her an
informal class on plotting a course that takes advantage of wind and
current instead of a course that actually has the wind and current working
against the hapless occupants of aforementioned cruising yacht.

Wilbur Hubbard

Promises, promises.

The last time we spoke of being in your area, you disavowed any promises of
sailing, with or without either of us, limiting it to a friendly beer.

Get your stories straight :{))

As to the project list, just as was the time in SSI, my projects, having
kept up with my chores aboard, are short (other than the bottom job, which
will be pretty labor intensive, as I'm going to make it naked before I put
on whatever critter-killer I decide on). Her chores, which, once started,
seem to expand exponentially, have already involved me about half the time,
so I'm sure I'll be doing half her work while I finish (or have finished,
already) mine.

THEN, we'll both come down and sail with you, as I've gotten the first major
chore, that of getting a car, out of the way...

Oh, ya, you'll have to mail us (which I'm sure you know how to do as I've
never concealed my address), rather than here, cuz I know you'd rather not
have folks know how to reach you. Just as in several other folks who like
to remain unknown but who communicate with me directly, I'll protect that
with/for you.

Looking forward to meeting you...

L8R

Skip, moving right along in the projects list

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:52:27 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, he is struck dumb at your stupidity.

[...]

Willie-boy, the arm chair sailor opens his mouth yet again exposing
his ignorance.

Willie, these people aren't doing a day trip down the bay, that are
staying out there for a spell..... they need those heavy water tanks.
Unlike you they can't run ashore every day to the public toilets for a
wash.

Wilbur Hubbard

Cheers,

Bruce