mmc mmc is offline

Default Wild Eyes

"Edgar" wrote in message
. ..

"Joe" wrote in message

Nice boat
http://abbysunderland.com/abbys-boat.php

Joe

Too much of a high-tech racing machine for her purpose in my opinion.
Jessica is sailing an S&S34 which is a solid well proven design.
I had one for 14 years and they are superb seaboats and very strongly
built with much less to go wrong.
Abby will spend so much time tweaking her boat and its rig that she will
have no time to blog...

You're right. High tech, go fast ocean racing boats break easy.

mmc mmc is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 4:54 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...underland-jesi...

Abby's younger and will take away Jessica's title the day she
finishes. She's just waiting on a weather window in S. California.

Joe

Hey Joe,

El Lago Coffee should sponsor Miss Terry for an unassisted
circumnavigation.
She could go for the "oldest female around" record.

Har har har har.

Wilbur Hubbard

Donna Lange was much older. IIRC you said she would never make it
too.. Just goes to show how often you are right. Typical arm chair
sailor you are.

One person we all know will never sail again..Neal Warren, Greg Hall,
Wilbur, Simple Simon, ect..ect...ect.......Only record you will break
is crust thickness on a cedar bucket.

Joe
---------
Maybe Wilbur could compete for the oldest sniveling bitch to clutter up a
decent anchorage with a ugly ass yellow tub? I think he has a chance at the
title!

"Edgar" wrote in message
. ..

"Joe" wrote in message

Nice boat
http://abbysunderland.com/abbys-boat.php

Joe

Too much of a high-tech racing machine for her purpose in my opinion.
Jessica is sailing an S&S34 which is a solid well proven design.
I had one for 14 years and they are superb seaboats and very strongly
built with much less to go wrong.
Abby will spend so much time tweaking her boat and its rig that she will
have no time to blog...

I agree. That's too much boat for her. Too high tech and too fast and that
means FAILURES. She'll end up dismasted or capsized or something.

Jessica has the better idea.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 23, 5:23*am, "Edgar" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

*...

Nice boathttp://abbysunderland.com/abbys-boat.php

Joe

Too much of a high-tech racing machine for her purpose in my opinion.

I agree that it may be a bit high strung for a solo teen, but if I
were going to run downwind around non stop solo ...I'd prefer an open
40 over just about anything.

Jessica is sailing an S&S34 which is a solid well proven design.
*I had one for 14 years and they are superb seaboats and very strongly built
with much less to go wrong.

I'm aware of her boat, and you are correct the S&S34 is a nice strong
boat..but if that's the goal then why not a West Sail 32 or PS 31?

*Abby will spend so much time tweaking her boat and its rig that she will
have no time to blog...

Thats OK, she needs to keep her head on a swivel, and her attention
on the boat.

Joe
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 23, 8:08*am, "mmc" wrote:

Maybe Wilbur could compete for the oldest sniveling bitch to clutter
up a
decent anchorage with a ugly ass yellow tub? I think he has a chance at the
title!- Hide quoted text -

The fellow that lives near him says the parks and wildlife discovered
that Neal was anchored in what they thought was a meteor crater. They
sent in divers and discovered that he had been anchored there so long
he created a perfect circle fecal reef.

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message

Thats OK, she needs to keep her head on a swivel, and her attention
on the boat.

Joe

A case of the blind leading the blind.

Wilbur Hubbard

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Edgar" wrote in message
. ..

"Joe" wrote in message

Nice boat
http://abbysunderland.com/abbys-boat.php

Joe

Too much of a high-tech racing machine for her purpose in my opinion.
Jessica is sailing an S&S34 which is a solid well proven design.
I had one for 14 years and they are superb seaboats and very strongly
built with much less to go wrong.
Abby will spend so much time tweaking her boat and its rig that she will
have no time to blog...

You're right. High tech, go fast ocean racing boats break easy.

Here is a comparison of the basics of the two boats:-

Abby's
L 40' Displacement 7407lb Ballast 2094lb
Port and starboard water ballast tanks holding about 1700lb
Trim tab on keel

Jessica's
L 34' Displacement 9195lb Ballast 5400lb
No moving ballast to worry about

The picture shows Abby's boat close hauled under reduced sail and heeling a
lot in a wind that was clearly stiff, but probably not excessive. Maybe she
had not filled the windward water ballast tank on that occasion. I wonder
how long it takes to dump one and fill the other when you have to go about.
I get the impression that her boat was designed for a full crew that were
prepared to act as 'rail meat' when going to windward.
You can see from the figures how inherently stiff the S&S 34 is. Going to
windward mine would outsail any boat I ever met with of comparable size.
With just my wife as crew I could carry double reefed main and no 2 genoa to
windward with 30 knots apparent wind on the indicator and she would be
flying. Lovely boat.

mmc mmc is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 23, 8:08 am, "mmc" wrote:

Maybe Wilbur could compete for the oldest sniveling bitch to clutter
up a
decent anchorage with a ugly ass yellow tub? I think he has a chance at
the
title!- Hide quoted text -

The fellow that lives near him says the parks and wildlife discovered
that Neal was anchored in what they thought was a meteor crater. They
sent in divers and discovered that he had been anchored there so long
he created a perfect circle fecal reef.

Joe

Maybe where his attitude comes from..

Ala Ala is offline

wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...underland-jesi...

Abby's younger and will take away Jessica's title the day she
finishes. She's just waiting on a weather window in S. California.

Joe

Hey Joe,

El Lago Coffee should sponsor Miss Terry for an unassisted
circumnavigation.
She could go for the "oldest female around" record.

Har har har har.

Wilbur Hubbard

Donna Lange was much older. IIRC you said she would never make it
too.. Just goes to show how often you are right. Typical arm chair
sailor you are.

One person we all know will never sail again..Neal Warren, Greg Hall,
Wilbur, Simple Simon, ect..ect...ect.......Only record you will break
is crust thickness on a cedar bucket.

They will still be posting under a different name, but for the record, even
if they are geniuses, I bet they can't remember whether or not their
grandmother is alive, or where she lives

Ala Ala is offline

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

can you do the pope now

For Larry's eyes only! Gordon Cruising 22 March 4th 08 05:17 AM
It's all in the eyes... Short Wave Sportfishing General 0 February 13th 08 10:35 PM
OT old blue Eyes John W. Bienko ASA 0 September 26th 04 02:57 PM
OT old blue Eyes Scott Vernon ASA 3 September 26th 04 01:02 AM
Tears to my eyes! Capt.American ASA 5 February 3rd 04 01:31 AM