Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Wild Eyes

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Edgar" wrote in message
. ..

"Joe" wrote in message

Nice boat
http://abbysunderland.com/abbys-boat.php

Joe

Too much of a high-tech racing machine for her purpose in my opinion.
Jessica is sailing an S&S34 which is a solid well proven design.
I had one for 14 years and they are superb seaboats and very strongly
built with much less to go wrong.
Abby will spend so much time tweaking her boat and its rig that she will
have no time to blog...

You're right. High tech, go fast ocean racing boats break easy.

Here is a comparison of the basics of the two boats:-

Abby's
L 40' Displacement 7407lb Ballast 2094lb
Port and starboard water ballast tanks holding about 1700lb
Trim tab on keel

Jessica's
L 34' Displacement 9195lb Ballast 5400lb
No moving ballast to worry about

The picture shows Abby's boat close hauled under reduced sail and heeling a
lot in a wind that was clearly stiff, but probably not excessive. Maybe she
had not filled the windward water ballast tank on that occasion. I wonder
how long it takes to dump one and fill the other when you have to go about.
I get the impression that her boat was designed for a full crew that were
prepared to act as 'rail meat' when going to windward.
You can see from the figures how inherently stiff the S&S 34 is. Going to
windward mine would outsail any boat I ever met with of comparable size.
With just my wife as crew I could carry double reefed main and no 2 genoa to
windward with 30 knots apparent wind on the indicator and she would be
flying. Lovely boat.