JAXAshby

Default New killer of cruising sailors

Why, it is E.Coli from fresh vegetables. For two million years, humans have
been eating fresh vegetables and finally we learn we can die from it.

What incredible stuff one can find out about on the Internet.

http://takehersailingboard.infopop.c...016594&f=99560
83605&m=630105035&r=479100135#479100135

btw, here what the FDA has to say about E.Coli. Not that the most susiptble
are the very young and the elderly, which of course is most cruising sailors
out there.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap15.html
Rich Hampel

Yup!
For milllions of years humankind would wash all their food and wash
their hands before eating.
Ever notice how many people wash their hands at a public toilet? ....
virtually none.

In article , JAXAshby
wrote:

Why, it is E.Coli from fresh vegetables. For two million years, humans have
been eating fresh vegetables and finally we learn we can die from it.

What incredible stuff one can find out about on the Internet.

http://takehersailingboard.infopop.c...016594&f=99560
83605&m=630105035&r=479100135#479100135

btw, here what the FDA has to say about E.Coli. Not that the most susiptble
are the very young and the elderly, which of course is most cruising sailors
out there.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap15.html

Gualtier Malde

And people simply didn't eat fresh greens or uncooked veggies in third
world countries. Nothing has changed in that area. Why would people
think things have changed? More intelligence on Earth?

--
The SPAM finally got to me. Remove "-sorry-" from my address to reply
directly.

Doug Dotson

E.Coli is part of the natural flora of the human digestive tract. That is
why it is used as an indicator of human polution in water. Vegies that
have E. Coli in them is a result of countries that use human waste
as fertilizer. It is only when one gets a massive dose that the body
can't handle then one gets sick. I suspect that some sub-strains exists
as well that are more aggressive.

Doug
s/v Callista

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Why, it is E.Coli from fresh vegetables. For two million years, humans

have
been eating fresh vegetables and finally we learn we can die from it.

What incredible stuff one can find out about on the Internet.

http://takehersailingboard.infopop.c...016594&f=99560
83605&m=630105035&r=479100135#479100135

btw, here what the FDA has to say about E.Coli. Not that the most

susiptble
are the very young and the elderly, which of course is most cruising

sailors
out there.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap15.html

JAXAshby

And people simply didn't eat fresh greens or uncooked veggies in third
world countries. Nothing has changed in that area. Why would people
think things have changed? More intelligence on Earth?

The last nomads in southern Africa (later 1960's, early 1970's) were known to
eat upwards of 300 difference species of plants, and 60 species of animals,
without health problems associated with nutrition. By mid 1990's, they were
"domesticated" and eating about 7 species of plants and 4 or 5 species of
animals, and did indeed have nutritional associated health problems.

JAXAshby

That sounds like a loaded observation. Were they (the nomads) suddendly
clustered together. Any refs re your comments?

I read an article on the day the psychotic computer HAL was born (January 19,
1996?) in Urbana ILL [grin]. the article was written by a man who did his PhD
on those nomads in 1968(?) and who returned to study them again in the mid
1990's. Much had changed, including the food habits, including the effort
worked each day for food (from about 3 hours a day as hunter/gatherers to 8
hours a day working in civilization).
Vito

Patron: Gimme a sandwich. Waiter: Mad cow beef, mercury fish or salmonella
chicken? Patron: err maybe a salad instead. OK pesticide or hepatitis?
Never mind, just water please. Processed sewage or farm runoff? ....

MLapla4120

The E.Coli in our digestive tracts is not the
same as the one or more that can make
you dreadfully sick. You might say they
just share the first name of a long name sequence. It is not easily washed
away
and food that has it would have to be boiled for a while before the bacteria
would
be killed.
A 'massive dose' in the world of microbiology can be an amount that you
could fit on the head of a pin. Luckily,
it is not that common. Outbreaks can
be controlled if health authorities investigate and act to control the source.
In absence of that, use good judgement
and eat only food that you know has not
made others sick. (cruiser rule # 4329)

Glenn Ashmore

E. Coli is not much of a problem in the US where vegetables are grown
with chemical fertilizer. A fresh water rinse is usually all that is
needed. Because we are rarely exposed to it, our immune systems have
lost much of our ability to fight E. Coli infections. OTOH, Many smaller
countries where cruisers may shop for produce use manure, both animal
and human for fertilizer. The locals have developed a tollerance for it
but it is ALWAYS a good idea to rinse veggies purchased in third world
markets in a dilute solution of chlorine bleach and water. It is
standard practice among many long distance cruisers.

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Cruising Website Jeff Gordon Cruising 0 April 30th 04 06:20 AM
Would you go long term cruising? Parallax Cruising 12 March 15th 04 02:46 PM
cruising vs liveaboard boats JAXAshby Cruising 2 February 3rd 04 11:22 AM
AUS: Licences and/ or Quals for International Cruising Moores Family Cruising 9 August 6th 03 11:00 PM