Glenn Ashmore

Default New killer of cruising sailors

E. Coli is not much of a problem in the US where vegetables are grown
with chemical fertilizer. A fresh water rinse is usually all that is
needed. Because we are rarely exposed to it, our immune systems have
lost much of our ability to fight E. Coli infections. OTOH, Many smaller
countries where cruisers may shop for produce use manure, both animal
and human for fertilizer. The locals have developed a tollerance for it
but it is ALWAYS a good idea to rinse veggies purchased in third world
markets in a dilute solution of chlorine bleach and water. It is
standard practice among many long distance cruisers.

JAXAshby wrote:
Why, it is E.Coli from fresh vegetables. For two million years, humans have
been eating fresh vegetables and finally we learn we can die from it.

What incredible stuff one can find out about on the Internet.

http://takehersailingboard.infopop.c...016594&f=99560
83605&m=630105035&r=479100135#479100135

btw, here what the FDA has to say about E.Coli. Not that the most susiptble
are the very young and the elderly, which of course is most cruising sailors
out there.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap15.html

--
Glenn Ashmore