Terry Spragg

Default New killer of cruising sailors

JAXAshby wrote:
did anyone bother to read the information from the Centers for Disease Control?
THAT stated e. coli can be a problem almost exclusively with the elderly
and/or very young children (can you say "compromised immune system?), and even
then in the context of fresh vegetables only with lettuce.

Anyone afraid of lettuce should never untie their dock lines.

Sad, true?

Perhaps it would be better for us to ask our doctors how we can
build up our immune systems to co-exist with E. Coli - a natural
inhabitant of our gut - and other common "health threats." Mabey we
should start scratching our asses and stop washing our hands? Don't
forget, we evolved to prosper in such an environment: cold, wet,
hungry, bug bitten, barefoot and starved.

Maybe it's true, as rumoured, that physicians want us to stay sick
so they can pump up the turnover of regular "treatments" and
prescription commissions instead of curing us. An old friend bemoans
the abscence of dry sulfur - used in sulfur and molasses, old time
cure all that acording to him works a treat, from our apothocaries
and dispensing chemists. Old timer says sulfur and molasses is
condemned by doctors because it reduces sicknes and their business.
Hay, don't blame me, I didn't make it up. He's 82, he ought to know.

Seems the homeopathic folks might have some part of the truth?

This brings to mind a thought I let go of years ago- perhaps
hamburger should be required to contain, say 5 percet gristle, as a
means to nourish our arthritic joints? Perhaps as an "enriched"
premium product? Why do we need glucosamine and chondroitin to ease
our bones? I know they work for me.

Likewise, do we need to supplement out modern diets to enrich our
calcium balance? Perhaps going back to eating sardine bones, or
chicken ribs? Maybe 5 percent bone meal in the burger, too? That is,
if it wasn't a refinery product enriched with concentrated prions
from mad animals fed on their own guts and nerve tissue in the name
of "business efficiency."

How many other "modern nutritional" dietary deficiencies are we
unaware of?

Our "civilised" diets are hugely un-natural. We need to eat a wide
variety of foods, probably better for us raw. Those who live on
junk burgers, caffeine drinks and white bread are the examples we
need to investigate, and hang the junk food promoters and their
lawyers. Those people are all fat and sick, still hungry for some
missing nutritional ingredient, morbidly obese!

The way it is going, smoking is not gonna cost health care near as
much as obesity, and tobacco is taxed far more than food, at least
for now.

Like all of our other faculties, immune systems thrive on excercise
and atrophy without it. Like our muscles, our immune systems
probably need challenges to keep them fit.

Ask yourself, who's healthier and fitter, us in fear of Montezuma's
revenge, or those locals who survive, even thrive on water a litte
less than chemically purified? Now, now, don't start on hepatitis, etc.

Don't ever forget, some one is using terror tactics to sell "pure"
water in cute little plastic designer bottles. The more pure the
water, the more powerful it becomes as a solvent for aromatic
hydrocarbons, depending on your statistical anlysis.

When I was a kid, I drank out of drainage ditches beside the dogs. I
seldom if ever get colds, nor have I been sick much, except for my
ear, which was "treated" by doctors for many years, improperly, it
seems.

Terry K

E. Coli is not much of a problem in the US where vegetables are grown
with chemical fertilizer. A fresh water rinse is usually all that is
needed. Because we are rarely exposed to it, our immune systems have
lost much of our ability to fight E. Coli infections. OTOH, Many smaller
countries where cruisers may shop for produce use manure, both animal
and human for fertilizer. The locals have developed a tollerance for it
but it is ALWAYS a good idea to rinse veggies purchased in third world
markets in a dilute solution of chlorine bleach and water. It is
standard practice among many long distance cruisers.

JAXAshby wrote:

Why, it is E.Coli from fresh vegetables. For two million years, humans

have

been eating fresh vegetables and finally we learn we can die from it.

What incredible stuff one can find out about on the Internet.

http://takehersailingboard.infopop.c...016594&f=99560
83605&m=630105035&r=479100135#479100135

btw, here what the FDA has to say about E.Coli. Not that the most

susiptble

are the very young and the elderly, which of course is most cruising

sailors

out there.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap15.html

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rich Hampel

Sounds like you'd be happy eating PURINA DOG CHOW., its got everything
you're clamming for. Dogs who eat it have quite a bit of life
extension. g

In article
le.rogers.com, Terry

Cruising Website Jeff Gordon Cruising 0 April 30th 04 06:20 AM
Would you go long term cruising? Parallax Cruising 12 March 15th 04 02:46 PM
cruising vs liveaboard boats JAXAshby Cruising 2 February 3rd 04 11:22 AM
AUS: Licences and/ or Quals for International Cruising Moores Family Cruising 9 August 6th 03 11:00 PM