posted to rec.boats.building

Default New Found Metals replacement port-lites question

Old cruising sailboat. Original port-lites. So, I was looking around the
net and I came across the site for New Found Metals replacement portlites.
Wow... they look really neat. Would be a big improvement to my boat if they
are as advertised.

But, as many times as I read the site .. I could not quite figure out how
they work with the old portlite rough opening.

If I have it right ??? Big if .. The New Found Metals portlites have
large frames so there is some give or take about the rough opening size.

Kinda like a replacement window for the house.

Do I have this right? Any of you with old sailboats used this company and
replaced your portlites. My boat, the main cabin port-lites don't open. It
would be sooo sweet to have opening ports.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year

NE Sailboat wrote:

Old cruising sailboat. Original port-lites. So, I was looking around the
net and I came across the site for New Found Metals replacement portlites.
Wow... they look really neat. Would be a big improvement to my boat if they
are as advertised.

But, as many times as I read the site .. I could not quite figure out how
they work with the old portlite rough opening.

If I have it right ??? Big if .. The New Found Metals portlites have
large frames so there is some give or take about the rough opening size.

Kinda like a replacement window for the house.

Do I have this right? Any of you with old sailboats used this company and
replaced your portlites. My boat, the main cabin port-lites don't open. It
would be sooo sweet to have opening ports.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year

You would be extremely lucky if you didn't have to modify your original port
openings.

I don't see why you are having difficulties. Newfound have downloadable
installation instructions for their two port types and I've found the
instructions are very clear. I'm installing 8 of their bronze opening ports.

If nothing else, you'd have to cut openings for the drain spigots.

Brian C

Brian Cleverly wrote:
NE Sailboat wrote:

[...]

The bronze must be a fairly new addition to NFM product line? They sure
look nice on the site and good prices, too.
How is the casting? as heavy as the old type bronze ports?
MMC

Brian Cleverly wrote:

NE Sailboat wrote:

[...]

To the person who requested info on quality of the bronze I'm installing.

I apologise, but I accidently lost your message.

To answer your question... I'm very impressed with the casting quality.. As
for weight, I don't accurately recall but the 8x22s are approx. 20lb each...

I'm installing 4 of the 8x22 and 4 of the 4x10. I have shots of them dry-fitted.

Brian C
(to reply direct add an ell after the name cee in the above address)
posted to rec.boats.building

the nfm products are all excellent quality and beautifully finished.

Brian

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob Bob is offline

NE Sailboat wrote:
Old cruising sailboat. Original port-lites. So, I was looking around the
net and I came across the site for New Found Metals replacement portlites.
Wow... they look really neat.

Yes, I agree. Very salty looking. Even have dogs.

Would be a big improvement to my boat if they
are as advertised.

Are you replacing 20+ yo Fuller Brush ports?

But, as many times as I read the site .. I could not quite figure out how
they work with the old portlite rough opening.
If I have it right ??? Big if .. The New Found Metals portlites have
large frames so there is some give or take about the rough opening size.

NO................ that is what NFM says to you. They are VERY abstract
and iffy about their phone and email comments. Therefore when their
products do not work they have wiggle room. Or in other words, a way to
sleaze out of a claim .... and a return on a product.

Kinda like a replacement window for the house.

No............. 6 3/4" x 14 1/4 " is an exact measurment. Do not let
NFM Bull **** you that there is some "varience" or "slack" or "
adjustment" that feach vessel has or that NFM is able to adjust for.
Look............ an inch is an inch is an inch. It eather fist or it
does not fit. The END.

The bottom line is look at the diagram of the port you order avalible
on the NFM website. and then add 1/4" for sealant.

Do I have this right? Any of you with old sailboats used this company and
replaced your portlites.

Yep.

My boat, the main cabin port-lites don't open. It
would be sooo sweet to have opening ports.

Maybe. Dep[ending on where and when you sail.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year

NOw the thing NFM DONT tell yhou. Their ports ar made in CHINA. The
spigot ring is spot welded the EPOXYed to the main frame. When I held
the port in my had fresh out of the box from China I heard the "crack"
of epoxy parting from stainless steel. In other words, a path for water
to intrude via capillary action or maybe osmosis if you are a
biologist.
They look good, and have an Achillies heal. I would go with MADE IN USA
BRONZE at $600 each.

How long do you plan on owning your boat?
Bob

posted to rec.boats.building

Bob ,, I wonder .. if I take the original frames to a metal place, do you
think they could cut/make up a new frame only of better/stronger/quality
than the original aluminum frames?

Any thoughts?

I can live with the non opening if the frame is of good quality, and doesn't
leak etc.

---
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:
[...]

NE Sailboat inscribed in red ink for all to know:
Bob ,, I wonder .. if I take the original frames to a metal place, do you
think they could cut/make up a new frame only of better/stronger/quality
than the original aluminum frames?

Any thoughts?

I can live with the non opening if the frame is of good quality, and doesn't
leak etc.

---
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:

[...]

We used Bomon Engineering when we replaced our large fixed ports
(18x36), and were very pleased. http://www.bomon.com/fix_windows.htm

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle