posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Cleverly Brian Cleverly is offline

Default New Found Metals replacement port-lites question

NE Sailboat wrote:

Old cruising sailboat. Original port-lites. So, I was looking around the
net and I came across the site for New Found Metals replacement portlites.
Wow... they look really neat. Would be a big improvement to my boat if they
are as advertised.

But, as many times as I read the site .. I could not quite figure out how
they work with the old portlite rough opening.

If I have it right ??? Big if .. The New Found Metals portlites have
large frames so there is some give or take about the rough opening size.

Kinda like a replacement window for the house.

Do I have this right? Any of you with old sailboats used this company and
replaced your portlites. My boat, the main cabin port-lites don't open. It
would be sooo sweet to have opening ports.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year

You would be extremely lucky if you didn't have to modify your original port
openings.

I don't see why you are having difficulties. Newfound have downloadable
installation instructions for their two port types and I've found the
instructions are very clear. I'm installing 8 of their bronze opening ports.

If nothing else, you'd have to cut openings for the drain spigots.

Brian C