posted to rec.boats.building
NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default New Found Metals replacement port-lites question

Bob ,, I wonder .. if I take the original frames to a metal place, do you
think they could cut/make up a new frame only of better/stronger/quality
than the original aluminum frames?

Any thoughts?

I can live with the non opening if the frame is of good quality, and doesn't
leak etc.

---
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:
Old cruising sailboat. Original port-lites. So, I was looking around
the
net and I came across the site for New Found Metals replacement
portlites.
Wow... they look really neat.

Yes, I agree. Very salty looking. Even have dogs.

Would be a big improvement to my boat if they
are as advertised.

Are you replacing 20+ yo Fuller Brush ports?

But, as many times as I read the site .. I could not quite figure out how
they work with the old portlite rough opening.
If I have it right ??? Big if .. The New Found Metals portlites have
large frames so there is some give or take about the rough opening size.

NO................ that is what NFM says to you. They are VERY abstract
and iffy about their phone and email comments. Therefore when their
products do not work they have wiggle room. Or in other words, a way to
sleaze out of a claim .... and a return on a product.

Kinda like a replacement window for the house.

No............. 6 3/4" x 14 1/4 " is an exact measurment. Do not let
NFM Bull **** you that there is some "varience" or "slack" or "
adjustment" that feach vessel has or that NFM is able to adjust for.
Look............ an inch is an inch is an inch. It eather fist or it
does not fit. The END.

The bottom line is look at the diagram of the port you order avalible
on the NFM website. and then add 1/4" for sealant.

Do I have this right? Any of you with old sailboats used this company
and
replaced your portlites.

Yep.

My boat, the main cabin port-lites don't open. It
would be sooo sweet to have opening ports.

Maybe. Dep[ending on where and when you sail.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year

NOw the thing NFM DONT tell yhou. Their ports ar made in CHINA. The
spigot ring is spot welded the EPOXYed to the main frame. When I held
the port in my had fresh out of the box from China I heard the "crack"
of epoxy parting from stainless steel. In other words, a path for water
to intrude via capillary action or maybe osmosis if you are a
biologist.
They look good, and have an Achillies heal. I would go with MADE IN USA
BRONZE at $600 each.

How long do you plan on owning your boat?
Bob