Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Bending Resin Coated Plywood

For my current project - a Stevenson's Weekender - I'm very close to being
able to put on the sides. To avoid crawling around inside the boat coating
and painting, I'm wondering about doing that before I put the sides on.
I'll mask off where the glue joints will be during a trial fit. The sides
will be 1/4" luan coated with polyester resin (no fiberglass on the inside).
I'll fiberglass the outside after assembly.

My concern is whether the resin will be able to take the bending after it
sets up, or will it crack? Has anyone else tried to do things this way? I
don't really want to crawl around inside the cabin breathing in fumes trying
to do the coating.

--
Andrew Butchart