posted to rec.boats.building
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

Default Bending Resin Coated Plywood

"Andrew Butchart" wrote in message
. ..
For my current project - a Stevenson's Weekender - I'm very close to being
able to put on the sides. To avoid crawling around inside the boat

coating
and painting, I'm wondering about doing that before I put the sides on.
I'll mask off where the glue joints will be during a trial fit. The sides
will be 1/4" luan coated with polyester resin (no fiberglass on the

inside).
I'll fiberglass the outside after assembly.

My concern is whether the resin will be able to take the bending after it
sets up, or will it crack? Has anyone else tried to do things this way?

don't really want to crawl around inside the cabin breathing in fumes

trying
to do the coating.

DON'T!!!

Polyster will fall off. It does not stick to wood well, the slightest stress
will separate it from the wood. Use epoxy.
I once made a mistake to join two pieces of wood with poly/glass. It dit not
hold, I could peel it off clean. You will NEVER be able to peel off
epoxy/glass without tearing wood fibres.

Meindert