Kevin

Default Steam Bending Plywood

Well I tried to bend 6mm plywood around my buck (As described in a
absolutely no where. As I can not find 2mm or 3mm okoume any where
locally, and shipping it seems pretty prohibitive ($50.00 packaging
fee for one sheet???!!).... I have found a source for 1.5mm Finnish
Baltic Birch 3 ply (AirCraft Grade) in 4' x 4' sheets. The supplier
says it can be rolled and shipped via ups in a mailing tube.... so I
guess it can be made to conform to my buck. Anyone aware of any
reasons not to "cold mold" several layers of baltic birch ply? It will
be epoxy, four layers of 1.5mm baltic birch glued with epoxy (I am
hopping that the epoxy in between the birch will fill out the sandwich
a little for a 9mm width) and a layer of 6oz fibre glass on the
outside.....

I can however buy 4mm 3 ply bs1088 okoume locally, but am wary of
being able to bend it after steaming to my desired radius.

comments appreciated.

Kevin
Kevin

Brian,
The problem with that is... well straight glass just won't match well
with the overall wood based theme of the boat. I want the nice grain
and wood color in the inside... and showing through the wetted out
glass on the outside.

Kevin

Brian Whatcott wrote in message . ..
I'm sure the laminated birch ply will work for you, but then you could
go the whole hog with cloth, chopped strand and cloth for a piece
that will last rather longer than any wood can hope for...
Wrap a shiny plastic film overall while setting, for that gloss finish
you would like....

Brian W

RG

Perhaps a sheet of 1.5 mm on the inside; and another on the outside..and
glass all the way through??? That way you get the wood appearance, and the
glass strength and longevity. Your materials can be "mailed in a tube" too.
RichG

Trent Hink

Are you sure you can't get 3mm baltic birch ply locally?
It seems to be very popular for making drawer bottoms. Cheap and strong too.
I think 3mm should be flexible enough to cold mould the way you want.

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Kevin

The problem with the local 3mm baltic birch that I have been able to
find is that it only has interior grade glue.... which I don't think
will hold up.

Kevin

"Trent Hink" wrote in message ...
Are you sure you can't get 3mm baltic birch ply locally?
It seems to be very popular for making drawer bottoms. Cheap and strong too.
I think 3mm should be flexible enough to cold mould the way you want.

Glenn Ashmore

Yes standard Baltic (actually Russian) birch is not even slightly water
resistant.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Backyard Renegade

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:DDZGb.11259$JD6.7487@lakeread04...
Yes standard Baltic (actually Russian) birch is not even slightly water
resistant.

Sure is nice for making scale models though
Scotty

"Trent Hink" wrote in message ...
Are you sure you can't get 3mm baltic birch ply locally?
It seems to be very popular for making drawer bottoms. Cheap and strong too.
I think 3mm should be flexible enough to cold mould the way you want.

Trent Hink

It seems to hold up very well for these:
http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/albup46
But I always thoroughly coat it with epoxy and sometimes vacuum bag a layer
of glass on as well. Note the tortured shape, from 3 layers 3mm laminated
with rocker and bottom concave.

Nice springy "pop" like a snowboard. At 180lbs with frequent jumps to around
15', I haven't been able to break one or seen any signs of rot yet, even the
ones where I ground through to to bare wood riding over sand and (sometimes)
rocks.

Then again this is not an application where the wood is submerged for much
more than a few hours at a time.

newsDZGb.11259$JD6.7487@lakeread04...

"Trent Hink" wrote in message

Are you sure you can't get 3mm baltic birch ply locally?
It seems to be very popular for making drawer bottoms. Cheap and strong

too.
I think 3mm should be flexible enough to cold mould the way you want.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Kevin

Did so more searching and found sources localy for:

1- 3 Ply 3mm (1/8 inch) Italian Poplar called Bending Poplar

2- 3 Ply 2.7 mm meranti VC (What does the VC mean?)

3- 2 Ply 2.7 mm meranti

4- 3 Ply 2.7 mm meranti A-3 VC (I assume this is grading
information... somoene want to decode it for me?)

5- 3 Ply 3mm Obeche

Which would be my best option for my rounded driftboat transom, and
what are the various strenghts and weaknesses of the above listed
woods?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

steam bending plywood Kevin Boat Building 13 November 21st 03 03:26 PM
Steam box Eide Boat Building 7 November 18th 03 01:55 PM
Plywood & Fiberglass deck Adam Boat Building 4 September 27th 03 12:13 PM
Poplar plywood Jacques Mertens Boat Building 25 September 26th 03 07:11 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM