Adam

Default Plywood & Fiberglass deck

I'm building 36' fiberglass Spray by Roberts Bruce.
Currently I'm working on deck and cabin top.
My plan says that deck and top cabin supposed to be sandwich method
(2CSM+18WR+2CSM+5/8"Balsa+2CSM+18WR+2CSM). Side cabin it is 6 layers of
fiberglass solid.
I did changes to this schedule. I built deck using 0.75" marine plywood and
side cabin 0.75" marine plywood as well. I make this decision because I want
to put any hardware on deck wherever I want.
I did ask Bruce about new fiberglass schedule over the plywood but
unfortunately I didn't get clear answer because it is against his
recommendation.
I'm planning to cover the plywood by 2 layers of 18WR mostly because I have
a lot of left over.
On cabin top I'm going to keep sandwich method.
Any suggestion about fiberglass schedule over 0.75" plywood deck?
Thanks for any help in advance.
Adam
For direct e-mail use

Steve

My deck, cabin side and cabin top are of 2 layers of 1/2" ply and I glassed
mine using a fab-mat that had a chopped strand on the face of the roving.

I would recommend that you lay a layer of CSM at the same time you lay your
18WR as a binder. Much the same as when you doing a glass lay up. The 18WR
being rather course weave.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions (Ingrid 38)

Adam

Thanks Steve - Actually I got this idea from your website and your pictures.
Scotty - you are absolutely right. I'm getting this problem many times.
OK - here you a
CSM - Chopped Strand Mat
2CSM it is 2 oz per square foot
WR - Woven Roving
18WR it is 18 oz per square yard
How it looks? - take a look here i.e.
http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/Fi...glass-can.html
BTW it is my supplier - for my project.
Thanks
Adam

Backyard Renegade

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message ...
Don't apologize, quite the opposite.
If someone does not understand fiberglass terminology, it shows that he
doesn't have sufficient experience with the material to offer advice.
Now, about the changes, Bruce Roberts may have very good reasons not to
change his specs.
I hope you are not overlooking something like weight distribution,
insulation, stiffness etc. etc.

Why not apologize, I think it is a good idea to make the posts
readable by everyone. Besides I did not offer any advice. When someone
wants to know about new (to them) technology they are not necessarily
supposed to go to one of 9 pay sites and pay for it...
Scotty, who started SmallBoats.com because of this attitude exactly...
in fact it was one of 9 sites that drove me to the internet cause I
did not think everyone should have to bow to a idol to learn to build
a simple S+T box...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

"Steve" wrote in message
Sorry about that. I'm guilty..

I was responding to this post as if I were answering a 'one on one' email
and used the terminalogy that Adam had used it the his post.

BTW.. Adam later post gave a very good reference on the various types of
glass materials that are available. I was pleased to not that they specify
that the mat, roving and stitch mat (what I refered to as fab-mat) is
intended for polyester resins. Perhaps that will aid others who aren't

aware
of the incompatability of some forms of glass products with epoxy.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Backyard Renegade

"Adam" wrote in message ...
Thanks Steve - Actually I got this idea from your website and your pictures.
Scotty - you are absolutely right. I'm getting this problem many times.
OK - here you a
CSM - Chopped Strand Mat
2CSM it is 2 oz per square foot
WR - Woven Roving
18WR it is 18 oz per square yard
How it looks? - take a look here i.e.
http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/Fi...glass-can.html
BTW it is my supplier - for my project.
Thanks
Adam

Thanks Adam, I appreciate being answered without the attitude of the OG...
Scotty

fiberglass pontoon leak on boat slip, HELP! Dustin General 8 May 6th 04 07:36 PM
New Deck Mark Davis General 4 November 28th 03 09:42 PM
Replacing Wood Deck Mark Davis General 10 November 17th 03 02:35 AM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 General 26 July 22nd 03 02:01 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 Boat Building 19 July 22nd 03 02:01 PM