Trent Hink

Default Steam Bending Plywood

Are you sure you can't get 3mm baltic birch ply locally?
It seems to be very popular for making drawer bottoms. Cheap and strong too.
I think 3mm should be flexible enough to cold mould the way you want.

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
Well I tried to bend 6mm plywood around my buck (As described in a
absolutely no where. As I can not find 2mm or 3mm okoume any where
locally, and shipping it seems pretty prohibitive ($50.00 packaging
fee for one sheet???!!).... I have found a source for 1.5mm Finnish
Baltic Birch 3 ply (AirCraft Grade) in 4' x 4' sheets. The supplier
says it can be rolled and shipped via ups in a mailing tube.... so I
guess it can be made to conform to my buck. Anyone aware of any
reasons not to "cold mold" several layers of baltic birch ply? It will
be epoxy, four layers of 1.5mm baltic birch glued with epoxy (I am
hopping that the epoxy in between the birch will fill out the sandwich
a little for a 9mm width) and a layer of 6oz fibre glass on the
outside.....

I can however buy 4mm 3 ply bs1088 okoume locally, but am wary of
being able to bend it after steaming to my desired radius.

comments appreciated.

Kevin