posted to rec.boats.building
Wm Watt Wm Watt is offline

Default Bending Resin Coated Plywood

Wm Watt wrote:
I don't see any problem with polyester resin. The plywood needs to be
clean, and lauan (RONA sells a nice meranti underlayment now instead of
the wormy lauan they used to have) is porous and tends to soak up resin
nicely. Adhesion should not be a problem. I use polyester to seal the
chines on my underlayment lauan and virola (now there's a *really*
crappy plywood) boats.

I should clarify. I think polyester coatings on plywood are most likely
to succeed under three condtions
1. new (clean, dry, etc.)
2. porous
3. rigid
I forgot to mention "rigid" in my previous post. I think if the plywood
flexes the polyester is more likely to become detached from the hull.