posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] andrew@floatingbear.ca is offline

Default Bending Resin Coated Plywood

Meindert Sprang wrote:

DON'T!!!

Polyster will fall off. It does not stick to wood well, the slightest stress
will separate it from the wood. Use epoxy.
I once made a mistake to join two pieces of wood with poly/glass. It dit not
hold, I could peel it off clean. You will NEVER be able to peel off
epoxy/glass without tearing wood fibres.

Meindert

Thank you everyone for your input. I will probably ignore the advise
to throw away my remaining resin and spend 3 times as much for epoxy
and run the chances of developing an alergic reaction. PLEASE - the
whole polyester vs epoxy controversy has been done to death. I know -
I've been part of it on this forum for years. I had hoped that this
thread wouldn't re-ignite it but it seems that it has. I went into the
project fully aware of the impact of my materials choices.

I will however plan on putting the panels in place before coating them
- reducing the chances of resin failure.

Andrew Butchart