wemfish

Default Boat plans.

Hi All,
I am planning to build a small sail boat to take on holiday and other family
trips when we also take our caravan so it has to be light enough to "car
top" a cross section as below..

l l
l l
\ /
\ ______________________ /

a flat bottom ( for the roof bars) and about 10' to 12' max length would be
perfect. Does anyone have a link to a free plan close to my needs or have
one they can e-mail me so I can then adapt it to my needs.
watch out for the spam trap if e-mailing me direct!!

Stephen Baker

wemfish says:

a flat bottom ( for the roof bars)

If you carry your boat upside-down, it has two advantages:

1. The sheerline (upper edges of hull) is necessarily at the same level each
side, reducing the need for a flat bottom.
2. The boat doesn't fill up with water/road crud while you drive. The
rainwater can be a major source of irritation when you try to unload, or
corner, or.....

Steve "there's a reason why most car=topped boats are upside-down..."
William R. Watt

Summer Breeze at www.simplicityboats.com is 11.5 ft simply made out of two
sheets of 1/4" plywood and weighs about 100 lb. You'll need two adults to
lift if on an off the roof of a vehicle. The height of the transom was
limited by the amount of materials allowed in the design contest this boat
won. I'd make the transom lower as it rides too high out of the water,
shortens the waterline length, and reduces speed a bit, but that's not a
major failing.

"wemfish" (wemfish AT tiscali.co.uk) writes:
Hi All,
I am planning to build a small sail boat to take on holiday and other family
trips when we also take our caravan so it has to be light enough to "car
top" a cross section as below..

l l
l l
\ /
\ ______________________ /

a flat bottom ( for the roof bars) and about 10' to 12' max length would be
perfect. Does anyone have a link to a free plan close to my needs or have
one they can e-mail me so I can then adapt it to my needs.
watch out for the spam trap if e-mailing me direct!!

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Rick Tyler

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:08:14 +0100, "wemfish" wemfish AT
tiscali.co.uk wrote:

Hi All,
I am planning to build a small sail boat to take on holiday and other family
trips when we also take our caravan so it has to be light enough to "car
top" a cross section as below..

a flat bottom ( for the roof bars) and about 10' to 12' max length would be
perfect. Does anyone have a link to a free plan close to my needs or have
one they can e-mail me so I can then adapt it to my needs.
watch out for the spam trap if e-mailing me direct!!

Good on you. Get over the "free plans" thing, though. Boat designers
need to eat, too.

Google on "dynamite payson" "glen-l" "wooden boat store" "jacques
mertens" or "phil bolger." The world is full of plans for boats in
that size range. Most of the good plans cost a few bucks, and worth
every penny.

- Rick "Not a professional boat designer" Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian
Robert Haston

Another reason to mount the boat upside down is you can make it streamline
with your car. You could build a boat that matches your caravan's finish
and follows your roofline like a van conversion.

Use the van to shape the gunnels, either as a model to carve out foam
shapes, or as a plug to mold the gunnels directly in fiberglass.

"wemfish" wemfish AT tiscali.co.uk wrote in message
Hi All,
I am planning to build a small sail boat to take on holiday and other

family
trips when we also take our caravan so it has to be light enough to "car
top" a cross section as below..

l l
l l
\ /
\ ______________________ /

a flat bottom ( for the roof bars) and about 10' to 12' max length would

be
perfect. Does anyone have a link to a free plan close to my needs or have
one they can e-mail me so I can then adapt it to my needs.
watch out for the spam trap if e-mailing me direct!!

Brian D

And then put some real neat aluminum running boards all the way from the
front tires to the back and some white wall tires.. Buy some wraparound
sunglasses and drive reeeeal slow with the turn signal on (forever) and
you're THERE, dude! Haha! (No offense, anyone...)

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/catalog -- Discounted System Three

..
"Robert Haston" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

William R. Watt

"Robert Haston" ) writes:
Another reason to mount the boat upside down is you can make it streamline
with your car. You could build a boat that matches your caravan's finish
and follows your roofline like a van conversion.

My car goes faster with the Delta boat on top. This flat bottom boat has
Phil Bolger ends, ie the deadrise angle under the bow is the same as the
bow half angle, which he claims makes for better performance through
water. For these small boats I don't use a roof rack, just some rolled up
carpet underlay, so there is almost no gap between the boat and car, which
proves CHEAPER is BETTER.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Backyard Renegade

[...]

Some of the guys are having a good time with you. As a newbie you
probably are not aware of the kinds of issues you bring up when you
talk about free plans so I give you a pass. Find the Gardner books at
the local library and look up the Dual purpose skiff, 12 feet, nice
shear, would probably take a better size vehicle and maybe a rack
extention to rooftop it. Nice boat, flat bottom, Gunter rig sail for
easy storage, sweet "down east" lines especially the shear. When mine
is done it should weigh about 120 lbs as I am currently building a
light weight cartoppable version I have adapted from the origional
design which would be heavier. There is a place to start but don't ask
me for the rework I did as it is not on paper and probably won't be,
specially for free

Scotty from.......... ugh, still can't do it! Make the F***** rain
stop, please.
auerbach

Might be a good idea to put some non-stick plastic on the caravan's room
before you slather on that fiberglas and epoxy.

It's such a bummer trying to turn a caravan upside down to launch a boat
stuck to the roof. (g)