wemfish

Default Boat plans.

Thankyou to all those that have given me help either direct e-mail or
through this news group.
Sorry if the mention of free plans has offended (
I presumed as news groups are free, that we are all asking for and giving
free information, it would not be a problem?
I will probably end up using a CAD program from a binary NG (for free) and
use it to design my own boat. I was simply asking for a few lines as a
guide to start from. if my plan is then of use to anyone else I will pass it
to them for nothing. . .
Cheers,
Stuart.

Stephen Baker

wemfish says:

Sorry if the mention of free plans has offended (

Not so much offended, as the fact that you are the latest in a long line of
folks looking for free plans. An admirable search, to be sure, but some of us
make a living drawing said plans, and if we give them away, the kids whine with
hunger. ;-)

I presumed as news groups are free, that we are all asking for and giving
free information, it would not be a problem?

No more than walking into a pub (which is free) and expecting free whiskey for
the night. If you see what I mean.

I will probably end up using a CAD program from a binary NG (for free) and
use it to design my own boat.

If you have questions about design, please feel free (no pun intended) to post
them here. There are a number of qualified folks who are happy to help out.

I was simply asking for a few lines as a
guide to start from.

See the booklist in Scotty's post - it is a good one, and will definately get
you started in the right direction.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Backyard Renegade

"auerbach" wrote in message . com...
Might be a good idea to put some non-stick plastic on the caravan's room
before you slather on that fiberglas and epoxy.

Yeah but William won't need non stick tape, he uses polyester already!
Just teasing William...
Scotty

It's such a bummer trying to turn a caravan upside down to launch a boat
stuck to the roof. (g)

"Robert Haston" wrote in message
ink.net...
Another reason to mount the boat upside down is you can make it streamline
with your car. You could build a boat that matches your caravan's finish
and follows your roofline like a van conversion.

Use the van to shape the gunnels, either as a model to carve out foam
shapes, or as a plug to mold the gunnels directly in fiberglass.

"wemfish" wemfish AT tiscali.co.uk wrote in message
Hi All,
I am planning to build a small sail boat to take on holiday and other

family
trips when we also take our caravan so it has to be light enough to "car
top" a cross section as below..

l l
l l
\ /
\ ______________________ /

a flat bottom ( for the roof bars) and about 10' to 12' max length

would
be
perfect. Does anyone have a link to a free plan close to my needs or

have
one they can e-mail me so I can then adapt it to my needs.
watch out for the spam trap if e-mailing me direct!!

William R. Watt

"wemfish" (wemfish AT tiscali.co.uk) writes:

I will probably end up using a CAD program from a binary NG (for free) and
use it to design my own boat. I was simply asking for a few lines as a
guide to start from. if my plan is then of use to anyone else I will pass it
to them for nothing. . .

for plywood construction teh Carslon program (www.carlsondesign.com) has
example files for quite a few small boats. if you interested in a simple
flat bottom skiff or dory type you can use the free Basic program in the
Boats section of my website to try different dimensions and get a table of
offsets to start with in graphics CAD programs. (dories don't sail very
well because of the extreme curvature along the chines.)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

Backyard Renegade ) writes:
"auerbach" wrote in message . com...
Might be a good idea to put some non-stick plastic on the caravan's room
before you slather on that fiberglas and epoxy.

Yeah but William won't need non stick tape, he uses polyester already!
Just teasing William...

sorry if this comes as a shock, but polyester sticks to vans as well as
boats. it's used in auto body repair. I've seen some old vans polyester would
definitely stick to, mostly the kind of vans driven by boatbuilders.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Backyard Renegade

"wemfish" wemfish AT tiscali.co.uk wrote in message ...
Thankyou to all those that have given me help either direct e-mail or
through this news group.
Sorry if the mention of free plans has offended (
I presumed as news groups are free, that we are all asking for and giving
free information, it would not be a problem?
I will probably end up using a CAD program from a binary NG (for free) and
use it to design my own boat. I was simply asking for a few lines as a
guide to start from. if my plan is then of use to anyone else I will pass it
to them for nothing. . .
Cheers,
Stuart.

Really not offended at all and I was not trying to paint the whole
group or shape usenet, it is still free and you do not need to shy
about asking for free info, just know that some (even myself at times)
do take things wrong sometimes. Anyway, glad to have you here, hope
you find your boat. Like I said, look at the Gardner books, plenty of
great hulls to choose from, many with offsets, just prime for entering
into cad programs.
Scotty