William R. Watt

Default Boat plans.

steveb ) writes:
(William R. Watt) freed themself from bondage,
long enough to scribble:

(dories don't sail very
well because of the extreme curvature along the chines.)

Is this true of the larger dories ... 34 to 37 ft Benford designs, for
example?

sorry, I don't know. I've read there is to much weather helm in dories.
I'm sure that would depend on the radius of curvature of the side. Longer
boats with greater length-to-beam ratio would not have as much curvature.
I don't know how they get the beaminess or draft to carry sail without
excessive heeling - fill them to the gunwales with fish for ballast?

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm