Dave Allyn

Default useing two part "syringe type epoxy" for tacking.

Has anyone played with using the two part epoxies that come in the the
syringes (1:1) to tack the boat parts in place? Package says 3-5
minutes to bond. can move in an hour, and sand/machine in 24 hours.

I could see some spots where they might come in handy, but was
wondering if anyone has tried them or not?

email: dave-afo at mchsi dot com

please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Roger Derby

Interesting. I've had one of the Siamese twin epoxy deals on my hobby desk
for at least two years and it's still useable.

One must be VERY careful not to let any hardener get into or onto the resin
side. Also, the cap must be put back on the correct way. If you put the
hardener cap on the resin tube, you've had it. This is true of the
non-syringe types too.

I haven't tried it on the little tubes, but I revived a gallon jug of resin
which was clouded (crystallized) by putting it in a pan of hot (180 degree
F) water for ten or fifteen minutes; long enough for the heat to penetrate
and the resin to turn clear. It was so bad that it wouldn't go thru the
ketchup pumps. After heating it was clear and no more viscous than the new
stuff.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"ahoy" wrote in message
I don't find they have much shelf life. They are always stuck when I
go to use them have to be thrown away. I use the Gudgeon Bros. G/5 5
min 2 part (1:1) epoxy for tacking and small repairs. No failures so
far but it does say don't use it for constant water exposure on the
instructions. It smells like fish oil when you open it. It's easy to
use for me. It's 4oz of each for $12 or so. good luck.

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 04:42:21 GMT, Dave Allyn
wrote:

Has anyone played with using the two part epoxies that come in the the
syringes (1:1) to tack the boat parts in place? Package says 3-5
minutes to bond. can move in an hour, and sand/machine in 24 hours.

I could see some spots where they might come in handy, but was
wondering if anyone has tried them or not?

email: dave-afo at mchsi dot com

please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

az100

I have one, had it for some time now and its still good. This is the
double barrel syringe job with a single notched cap to prevent it being
put back wrong.
The only problem with this syringe is that the epoxy and hardener have
a different viscosity and this makes it difficult to push out equal
amounts of 'stuff'' after having used some of the contends. I have to
push at an angle to get anything near equal amounts released.
Not a problem for me as I use it for non precise work, the epoxy always
had gone off so far even if the mixing ratio must have been out
somewhat at times,

Yeah, I've used it. Don't trust it for anything structural. I used it
for a rudder yoke on a sailing canoe and on a little fold-up dolly.
Both failed fairly quickly. I think it would be OK for joints that
don't take _ANY_ stresses, or for sealing up edges of thru-decks etc,
but I wouldn't trust it for any stressed joint.

Dave Allyn wrote:
Has anyone played with using the two part epoxies that come in the the
syringes (1:1) to tack the boat parts in place? Package says 3-5
minutes to bond. can move in an hour, and sand/machine in 24 hours.

I could see some spots where they might come in handy, but was
wondering if anyone has tried them or not?

email: dave-afo at mchsi dot com

please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

mislav

Good to know. I had planned on useing it to eliminate the stiches.
Rather, the boat is stiched right now. I was going to spot weld next
to the stitches so they could be removed, thus letting the fillets be
one continuous bead. Guess I'll go the regular route!

Don't know what you're building, but try to search among CLC forum archives
on tabbing: http://www.clcboats.com/forum/bbs.pl/. Lot of good advices
there.

I had asked the same question myself when building my rowing shell and I
finally decide to tab with slightly (less than mayo) thickened epoxy fillet.
This is because my seams were very tightly fitted and lower viscosity helped
epoxy penetrate the seam. Naturally I was afraid of "unzipping" but the
tension of 4mm plywood certainly wasn't big enough to unzip the hull. I did
have a small accident when I almost fall into the hull and instinctively hit
the inside of the hull, around the keel, with my hand. All my weight (85 kg)
plus some extra momentum was there, at this narrow spot, while the hull was
firmly supported by the sawhorses and it only resulted in cracking 4-5 tabs,
so I have a reason to believe that the strength of the fillet I used for
tabbing was quite big. You'll also find that some builders even use
cynoacrylate adhesives (superglue) for tabbing.

mislav

What about using hot melt glue?

It's really not that difficult to use epoxy for tabbing. IIRC I needed only
2 or 3 baches of 50 ml for cca 120 tabs. In case you proceed with filleting
before the epoxy is fully cured you may expect the tabs and fillets to bond
chemically. I have missed my "not fully cured" window and have lightly sand
the tabs prior to filleting with no consequences. Make sure that you wet out
the seams prior to filetting with unthickened epoxy to avoid "joint
starvation".

Roger Derby

One thing I have noticed about the hardware store epoxies, not just the twin
syringe style, is that they seem much more brittle than System Three's
stuff. Maybe they're for fixing teacups rather than bonding wood?