Allan

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

Hi. I'll probably get some thoughts on this. I built a 20' Osprey Triple
kayak using epoxy resin. Nice boat. Now I'm building an 18' Trident Power
Cat ( johnsboatstuff.com ). He's recommending epoxy for structural work and
polyester (either orthothalic or the other one, I can't remember right now,
would have to look at my plans) for glassing up. Anyway it's the "better"
polyester. I like the price of the polyester, but..................

Anybody have any thoughts on why I should go all epoxy or use the
epoxy/polyester combo??? Thanks for any comments, thoughts.

Amateur 2nd boat builder in the Great White Frozen North,

Allan

Michael O'Dell

In article ,
"Allan" wrote:

Hi. I'll probably get some thoughts on this. I built a 20' Osprey Triple
kayak using epoxy resin. Nice boat. Now I'm building an 18' Trident Power
Cat ( johnsboatstuff.com ). He's recommending epoxy for structural work and
polyester (either orthothalic or the other one, I can't remember right now,
would have to look at my plans) for glassing up. Anyway it's the "better"
polyester. I like the price of the polyester, but..................

Anybody have any thoughts on why I should go all epoxy or use the
epoxy/polyester combo??? Thanks for any comments, thoughts.

Amateur 2nd boat builder in the Great White Frozen North,

Allan

build in epoxy - period.

polyester has no secondary bond strength and not
a lot of primary bond strength. epoxy is not
that much more expensive and could well save
your boat. epoxy actually sticks to the glass
where polyester does not; it merely hardens
*around* the glass fibers. that's why a polyester
laminate peels apart along the surface of the
reinforcement when it goes into failure.

-mo
William R. Watt

experience varies. on some surfaces polyester is fine. some builders have
been using is successfully for decades. but as there is no experimental
data a lot of builders pay extra and use epoxy. if your designer
recommends polyester you might want to contact him or her to find out what
feedback he is getting from builders.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Terry Spragg

Michael O'Dell wrote:

In article ,
"Allan" wrote:

[...]

I guess that's why all my 30 year old poly boats just collapsed
into piles of hairy dust in my backyard, eh? Zero strength, eh?

How do you calculate the cost benefit from this supposed longer
life for epoxy, given that the life span is still generally
indeterminate for both types under reasonable stresses? I have
heard of very few poly boats disintegrating in any remarkably
shorter time than epoxy, even in contests involving rocks and
stuff.

Such extremeist statements suggest you must be a berserker stock
market manipulator with interests and positions in the epoxy
chemicals market bordering so extremely on the insane as to
suggest you sell epoxy mainly to be able to continue to dispose
of toxic chemicals added in small amounts to the resins, just
like some shampoo vendors I suspected of doing just that until
your arguement was so strongly stated and foolishly revealed ;-)

Now, as far as skin irritation and developed allergies and
consequent lifetime sensitivities and costs associated with
respirators, deformed babies, etc, I would favour poly quite
strongly for a hobby builder, especially a relatively
inexperienced one, especially for a first build. Commercially,
the evidence is overwhelming. I cannot imagine anyone smart
enough to be able to afford the costs of epoxy being insensitive
to those cost benefit analyses so evidently performed and adhered
to by professional builders.

You just try to get an informed professional to build in epoxy
and then count the costs.

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Ron Thornton

Allan,

Thirty five years ago, when epoxy was hundreds of dollars a gallon, we
used poly for glassing, never as an adhesive (it was not as strong as a
good glue). The general consensus of the experts was that It should
only be used for glassing on a virgin, stable, substrate which was
mostly plywood back then. NEVER on planking, strips, etc or previously
painted wood, because the bonding strength and sheer strength would not
hold up to the forces which resulted in the expansion of these
substrates or the poor penetration of the previously painted surface.

The first coat of poly was thinned with styrene (the base solvent of
polyester) 30% as I recall, immediately followed by a straight coat that
the glass was laid into. The rest of the buildup was as with epoxy
except you had to work your ass off if the job was of any size. This
method worked ok and some of it lasted at least several decades. The
ones that failed were usually the ones that violated the rules above or
were boats that were grossly mistreated. For instance, acetone was
substituted for styrene which reduced the mechanicals of the poly by
about 20% to 30% as I recall.

About the same time I was introduced to epoxy in the lab at GE (they
could afford it). For the next twenty or so years I waited for the
price of epoxy to come down to my recreational budget level. That was
about 15 years ago and I have not used poly since. As far as I am
concerned, the only justification for poly is in high volume production
molded parts (unfortunately like boat hulls). But even there you will
see the highest quality products using epoxy.

Bottom line. With epoxy at $40 to $50 a gallon, I wouldn't use poly if
it were FREE!

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Regards, Ron

I don't recieve e-mail at this address because of spam. E-mail me
at crtsrATmsnDOTcom.

BruceM

As one who has need for some poly glassing I have often thought there should
be another news group for "ordinary" people.
My whole boat is poly so why do some alterations in epoxy?
BruceM

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message

Michael O'Dell wrote:

In article ,
"Allan" wrote:

[...]

Terry Spragg

BruceM wrote:

As one who has need for some poly glassing I have often thought there should
be another news group for "ordinary" people.
My whole boat is poly so why do some alterations in epoxy?

And be chained to epoxy therever after?

When I moved the head intake aboard my "The Penny Louise" HR28
sloop to make room for monkey feet under the new saloon booth
table decoratif, I used a one piece 3/8" solid plug of poly glass
tapered to fit the ground out hole, pressed between thin plywoods
lined with waxed paper. It never even needed sanding after it
cured. After vandals burned my boat, while the insurance
swindler was viewing the wreckage, I bashed in the speedo sensor
to allow the water to drain. We came back after a few beers so he
could check out the remains of the hull interior (?) I paid for
the lunch. It seems to me now that I could have tried to bash in
the 3 year old patch, but I didn't think of it then.

After this long, I think that the cradle, hull, engine, gas fuel
tank, boom, ballast, shaft and rudder were useable, (I had just
re-glassed the shaft log using epoxy), I just didn't have the
heart to rebuild. After a year of arguing with Parizeau et bureau
legal d'assurance, I accepted 14,500 and carriage for a boat that
was insured and not replaceable for 18,500, it's purchase price.

I maintain perfect faith that it would have been one hell of a
job to bash in that plug.

Wanna buy a 2 cylinder, 2 cycle gas 20 hp Lloyds Mariner (German)
inboard with electric start, reverser, shaft and prop? It did
well on the 'penile ooies', as we called her.

Terry K

BruceM

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message

Michael O'Dell wrote:

In article ,
"Allan" wrote:

[...]

Edward Greeley

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

Wow! Sounds like some Canuck eco-wacko failed to get his rabies shot
when it was due. Doesn't spell too well, either: extremEist; berserkER;
arguEment; there must be a surplus of Es and Rs up there in the frozen
north, EH?
Richard Lamb

BruceM wrote:

As one who has need for some poly glassing I have often thought there should
be another news group for "ordinary" people.
My whole boat is poly so why do some alterations in epoxy?
BruceM

So they will stick together?

Just a thought.

Terry Spragg

Edward Greeley wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

Well, just to indulge a whim before bedtime...

I got a flu shot, essentially for free, here in N.B. Canada after
a 20 minute wait at my local clinique. It was so cold, they shot
it into my arm with a bb gun.

If I was hugging a tree, it would only be to have a grip on it
sufficiently firm that I could expedite it's insertion into one
of your useless orifices. Or, I could wait quite a while until
the right one becomes available for expansive exploratory
applications.

Any topical applications you might suggest? The last resort of
frustrated non sequitorialist rambler bitche usegroup pussies is
to attack spalling, using axe mini spool chequers is ewe kin git
widow pain fur 'em, or your baby sister's ass. d'UuhH?

Spell check that, Quixote fan. Do your Freudian slops, like your
mother?

I mean, what's your OT point? Just read over your post, and
reflect on how petty seems your pseudo-intellectual questing to
jot a tittle or two. Capice? If you don't feel insulted, you
should get behind that.

Or, maybe this response was the best compliment you ever got, or
will get?

Nobody cares.

Contribute, or leech.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is
specifically denied for mass mailing and unrequested
solicitations. Spamspoof salad by spamchock TM - SofDevCo ®

Epoxy or Poly for poly repairs? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 14 January 4th 04 12:29 AM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM
Epoxy sales carlp Boat Building 11 October 11th 03 08:57 PM
Polyester epoxy carlp Boat Building 8 October 2nd 03 09:07 PM
polyester - epoxy bonding Walt Boat Building 19 July 27th 03 06:37 PM