Glenn Ashmore

Default Type 2 vs. Type 3 Wire

The guy at the local marina is a cheap SOB. Type 2 is used by some
production builders to save some money but you should always use the
more flexable Type 3. Ancor, Dearborn, Berkshire and most other marine
primary wire is Type 3. Use good quality adhesive lined heat shrink
crimp terminals where ever there is a risk that a connection might get
dunked.

In a properly made joint vibration is much more of a hazzard than wicking.

Sir Spamalot wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to do some re-wiring on my boat, and have a quick question.

While talking to a guy at the local marina, he said that I should be
using Type 2 wire, as opposed to the Type 3 which is readily available
at my local boating supply store. He said that Type 2 should be used
for all general wiring, as type 3 will "wick" more due to the fine
strands, and will not last. He also indicated that USCG standards
specify Type 2.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks.
SS

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Keith

Yea, what he said. A good source for wire is Jamestown Distributors, BTW.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

I'd also suggest a good ratcheting double crimper and nylon insulated
terminals. Good source for both is http://www.terminaltown.com/

--

Keith
__
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The guy at the local marina is a cheap SOB. Type 2 is used by some
production builders to save some money but you should always use the
more flexable Type 3. Ancor, Dearborn, Berkshire and most other marine
primary wire is Type 3. Use good quality adhesive lined heat shrink
crimp terminals where ever there is a risk that a connection might get
dunked.

In a properly made joint vibration is much more of a hazard than wicking.

Paul Schilter

Ratcheting crimpiers are great, but expensive, I use them at work.There is
one advantage to them, you have to apply enough pressure on the handles to
release the ratchet. This insures that you have a proper crimp on the
connector. This is important if you're going to be doing a lot of
connectors,because as your strength might diminish and not realize you
aren't applying enough pressure. At home I use an inexpensive crimpier from
Radio Shack.
Paul

"Sir Spamalot" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:59:52 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

Yea, what he said. A good source for wire is Jamestown Distributors, BTW.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

I'd also suggest a good ratcheting double crimper and nylon insulated
terminals. Good source for both is http://www.terminaltown.com/

Thanks a lot.

Any more comments?

If you have to solder engsol Cruising 6 June 1st 04 03:53 AM
Battery wire sprokkie Electronics 5 February 13th 04 08:57 PM
Battery wire Earl Haase Electronics 0 February 12th 04 02:36 PM
Battery wire Earl Haase Electronics 0 February 12th 04 02:30 PM
Q for Peggie re type I MSD and holding tanks Sven General 1 December 1st 03 05:47 AM