Nigel

Not sure how relevant this is but, I have a 12ft Zodiac inflatable with a
15hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard (weights about 35kg) I use it as a tender
to a sail boat. When I'm launching from the shore, and I can walk up behind
it, it's easy to fit. When I'm lauching it from the sail boat and I need to
lift it off the deck (4ft freeboard) , and mount it on the transom from
aboard the dinghy it's much harder, but not impossible. I working on a
method of lowering it with the boom direct onto the transom.

Evan Gatehouse

Nigel wrote:
Not sure how relevant this is but, I have a 12ft Zodiac inflatable with a
15hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard (weights about 35kg) I use it as a tender
to a sail boat. When I'm launching from the shore, and I can walk up behind
it, it's easy to fit. When I'm lauching it from the sail boat and I need to
lift it off the deck (4ft freeboard) , and mount it on the transom from
aboard the dinghy it's much harder, but not impossible. I working on a
method of lowering it with the boom direct onto the transom.

How about a dedicated little outboard motor crane. Lots of
folks make them, Garelick (I think) got a practical sailor
"best buy"

Evan Gatehouse

Nigel

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Nigel wrote:
Not sure how relevant this is but, I have a 12ft Zodiac inflatable with a
15hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard (weights about 35kg) I use it as a
tender to a sail boat. When I'm launching from the shore, and I can walk
up behind it, it's easy to fit. When I'm lauching it from the sail boat
and I need to lift it off the deck (4ft freeboard) , and mount it on the
transom from aboard the dinghy it's much harder, but not impossible. I
working on a method of lowering it with the boom direct onto the transom.

How about a dedicated little outboard motor crane. Lots of folks make
them, Garelick (I think) got a practical sailor "best buy"

Evan Gatehouse

I have thought of that, but I've already got a main boom and a staysail
boom. I like to keep the number of "bits of kit" to a minimum, so I'd prefer
to use one, or both of these. I think all I'll need is a spare block and
tackle, and a means of holding the boom steady.

Terry Spragg

Nigel wrote:

[...]

You should be able to use the boomvang clipped to a stanction base
to pull the boom against the mainsheet and hold it close enough for
what you want.

I would use the mainsheet as a tackle to lift the engine, with a
sling around the boom to slide it over the side. An old piece of
rope would take the normal place of the mainsheet, to stabilise the
boom.

Outhaul and reefing lines might work for you as a means to slide the
main tackle sling over the boom. I guess you'd have to remove the
main sail.

I always tied a safety line to the outboard and backstay, just in
case the outboard went for a swim during the transfer between boats.

Terry K

Electric Outboard Engine Andrew ASA 13 April 8th 05 11:20 PM
Outboard Engine submerged in fresh water - What to do? Rili General 7 February 6th 05 03:41 PM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Synthetic oil in a outboard engine ? JG General 6 August 20th 03 04:27 PM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM