Rili

Default Outboard Engine submerged in fresh water - What to do?

I was just wondering what should be done when a small outboard 2 stroke
engine is submerged in fresh water for less than 5 minutes?

This happened on the weekend and the first thing we did was to remove
the spark plug, cycle the engine maybe 50 times with the pull start
until no water was coming out of the spark plug hole. Very little water
came out anyway. After about 2 hours the engine managed to start, but we
were told that you shouldn't start the engine and that it should be
serviced immediately. I would have thought that if the engine could be
started as soon as possible that it would heat up and dry out any
remaining water.

I would think that all service manuals would say to take it in for a
service straight away as that means extra money for the engine maker,
but, is a service really required for an engine if it spent so little
time submerged and actually started shortly afterwards? Surely outboard
engines would have some design factor built it to minimise water damage
since submersion must happen a little bit?
Dixon

"Rili" wrote in message
[...]

This happens often in racing. I would double up on the oil mix and run it as
much as possible as soon as you can. An hour of running should do it. Don't
let it sit with water in it.
Dixon

Greg

You did the right thing getting it running right away. I would have flushed a
bit of 50:1 mix through it to be sure everything was lubed before I started it
but basically the quicker you get it up to operating temp and boil all the
remaining water out the better.
The "service" when they go into salt water is bascally to flush it with fresh
water and get it running.
none

"Greg" wrote in message

[snip]

The "service" when they go into salt water is bascally to flush it with
fresh
water and get it running.

You have one hour MAXIMUM after your pull your engine from the salt chuck.
Then you dump the powerhead in a tank of diesel. And if you cannot get it in
for service right away, it's best to leave it in the water for just a short
time. Or even in a tank of fresh water in the shop for a short time, if you
have no diesel available. If you leave it exposed in the air, your bearings
will begin to rust. And that will cost you a lot of cash.

Any engine that has been in the salt water must be dismantled and cleaned to
remove all the salt. You cannot just flush them and get them running, that
is "back yard mechanic" nonsense. Any salt left in the area of the bearings
could shorten the life of, or ruin, the powerhead. And while you have that
engine apart, you put in a fresh powerhead gasket set (of course), rebuild
the carbs and clean out the rest of the fuel system and electrical system.
If you don't do the above, you are in for "****" next time you hit the
water.

Basically, any complete salt water emersion calls for a rebuild.

Harry Krause

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:32:33 -0800, "none" wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

Nope. Just rinse it out with fresh water, and crank it untill it runs
on its own.

Sal's Dad

Some (23) years ago I went down in shallow sal****er, engine running as the
powerhead went under. It was a small jonboat, overloaded in a short chop,
and skipper had had a few.

One of the passengers swam thrashing ashore, the other took my advice to
"stand up". To the amusement of a dozen or so friends on shore.

I walked the boat ashore, got into dry clothes, pulled the plug and poured
some gas thru, drained the carb, blotted the plug dry and re-inserted it.
Took a couple dozen pulls to get it going. (Then the real fun started -
diving for the case of vodka that was strewn across the bottom ;-)

Motor ran fine for years, but I couldn't get it started last year. Maybe I
should have rebuilt it at the time.

By the way, it's a British Seagull Forty Plus.

Sal's Dad

The "service" when they go into salt water is basically to flush it with
[...]

Don White

"Sal's Dad" wrote in message
Motor ran fine for years, but I couldn't get it started last year. Maybe

should have rebuilt it at the time.

By the way, it's a British Seagull Forty Plus.

yeah...but you can't compare a British Seagull to the run of the mill
outboards from the USA & Japan!

Water in engine oil - How Common ? Ralph Modica General 13 November 13th 04 04:06 PM
Siphons, anti-siphons & wet exhausts JAXAshby ASA 57 June 19th 04 08:25 PM
Salt water in my engine J Bard ASA 6 June 1st 04 10:12 AM
Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Boat Building 10 May 10th 04 03:53 PM
inventing a different kind of fresh water engine flush C. Sadler Boat Building 7 December 5th 03 04:11 AM