Dixon

"Rili" wrote in message
I was just wondering what should be done when a small outboard 2 stroke
engine is submerged in fresh water for less than 5 minutes?

This happened on the weekend and the first thing we did was to remove the
spark plug, cycle the engine maybe 50 times with the pull start until no
water was coming out of the spark plug hole. Very little water came out
anyway. After about 2 hours the engine managed to start, but we were told
that you shouldn't start the engine and that it should be serviced
immediately. I would have thought that if the engine could be started as
soon as possible that it would heat up and dry out any remaining water.

I would think that all service manuals would say to take it in for a
service straight away as that means extra money for the engine maker, but,
is a service really required for an engine if it spent so little time
submerged and actually started shortly afterwards? Surely outboard engines
would have some design factor built it to minimise water damage since
submersion must happen a little bit?

This happens often in racing. I would double up on the oil mix and run it as
much as possible as soon as you can. An hour of running should do it. Don't
let it sit with water in it.
Dixon