Default How Easy to Mount/Dismount Outboard Gas Engine?

I would like to know how easy to mount or dismount an outboard gas
engine -- let's say a 40HP motor. I assume I need a carrier to hold the
outboard motor while I mount or dismount the motor. My questions a

- Is this a one man job?

- Do I need a lift? How small a motor can
we man-handle it without a lift?

- How many hours should I expect to spend to mount
or dismount an outboard?

- Is this something that we can do frequently on
the same boat without creating a lot of wear
and tear? Let say doing this once a month.

The reason why I am asking this is that I would like to use one boat
for both in electric-motor-only lakes and lakes that allow gas engine.
I plan to dismount the gas engine when I go to electric-only lake, and
then re-mount the gas engine when I go to lakes that allow gas engine.

I prefer to use the same boats in both areas instead of two different
boats. The reason is that I don't want to buy two boats, two trolling
motors, two set of batteries, two fishfinders, two trailers ...etc. If
I only have one boat, I can outfit the boat with good stuff. If I have
two boats, I will have to put so-so stuffs in the boats. Moreover, two
boats takes more storage spaces.

Of course, if frequent mounting and dismounting is not a practical
idea. I will have to settle with getting two boats.

Any idea? Thanks.

Jay Chan

A 40HP often is bolted to the transom, this takes some more time
to install than a smaller engine. Installing a 9.9 or 15HP can be
done in 5-10min by one person. A heavier engine might need two
persons or a hoist.

How much longer time to install a 40HP than a small engine? Would you
please give me a ball-park figure? Do we need any special expensive
tool that a person is not likely to have?

Sound like this is a two-persons job...

But using an electric motor on a boat designed for a 40HP will
give you very little speed.

Actually, I am just guessing when I mentioned a 40HP gas engine. I
don't really know how much horse power that I will put in a 18-ft boat
that I am looking for. I use that number just because Tracker web site
states that 40HP is the maximum horsepower that we can put in his 16-ft
boat alumimum deep-V boat. 40HP probably represents the upper limit of
what I may put in the 18-ft boat. Actually, I don't intend to put in a
large gas engine in that 18-ft boat; on the other hand, I plan to put
in as large an electric trolling motor as I can find in that boat.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Matt Colie

Jay,
I think you need to:
A - look at the engine weight
B - consider your options

Look at manufactures sites for engine weights.
Most 40hp catagory enines are about 250#.
(A man can lift and carry it - but not far.)

A boat designed for 40hp is going to be disappointing with a trolling
motor for power.

Thinking is the cheap thing to do....

Matt Colie

wrote:
[...]

Yes, you are right. I should decide on the hoursepower that I will put
in the boat, then find out its weight, before I will determine whether
I can mount or dismount it.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

MMC

Not trying to be a smart azz; how about a jon boat to use on the no-power
lakes? you can transport cartop, it'll move pretty well with trolling motor,
light and easy to carry. And you can flip it upside down on the power boat
for storage.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I think you need to:
A - look at the engine weight
B - consider your options

Yes, you are right. I should decide on the hoursepower that I will put
in the boat, then find out its weight, before I will determine whether
I can mount or dismount it.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Not trying to be a smart azz; how about a jon boat to use on the no-power
lakes? you can transport cartop, it'll move pretty well with trolling motor,
light and easy to carry. And you can flip it upside down on the power boat
for storage.

Actually it is a valid advice. I have thought about using a 15-ft
canoe. But I have decided against this idea. The reason is that I need
to mount something to shade me from the sun. I don't think this is a
good idea to mount something over a small canoe or a small jon boat --
I am afraid that the boat will become top heavy and flip. Considering
the fact that the most likely time for me to use the boat is Friday
afternoon in summer, shade is very important to me; otherwise, baking
under the sun would surely take the fun out of fishing.

The other alternative is to use a small 12-ft raw boat that I may be
able to mount a bimini top on it. But I would need to find a storage
space for it in addition to finding storage space for the 18-ft boat
that I want to fish with a couple of my friends with.

And two boats also means more expenses.

I think if I cannot mount/dismount the engine easily, I may decide not
to visit those electric-only lakes, and stick with lakes that allow
outboard engine. I still need to find out if I can still use the boat
in electric-only lakes if I can simply tilt up the engine and only use
the trolling motor.

Jay Chan

Roger Derby

There are actually, quite large umbrellas available. Light nylon for its
shrouds. Just keep an eye open for squall lines.

Only two boats in your future? Piker. You won't get a chance to wear a
Commodore's scrambled eggs that way.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

Electric Outboard Engine Andrew ASA 13 April 8th 05 11:20 PM
Outboard Engine submerged in fresh water - What to do? Rili General 7 February 6th 05 04:41 PM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 03:27 AM
Synthetic oil in a outboard engine ? JG General 6 August 20th 03 04:27 PM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM