posted to rec.boats.building

Default Peeling fiberglass surface

I bought a new 14' fiberglass skiff in 1998 and have used it only 2-3
times. It has spent 99% of its life upside down on a pair of saw
horses. About 2 years ago, I noticed the surface of the interior began
peeling. It started on the center seat but is now spreading to other
areas of the interior. Its not happening to the outside gel coat on
the bottom of the boat or sides. The interior hasn't seen much sun or
heat. And the fiberglass underneath is dry to the touch, not sticky
at all, and I see no obvious reason for the surface to peel the way
it's doing.
I can sand the peeling areas and paint it with something but I'm
thinking the entire surface will eventually peel away and I'll end up
sanding and painting one small area at a time over the next few years.
Is this type surface typically just spray painted when its built? It
doesn't look like gel coat. And what would make it start peeling this
way?
Here's some photos.
http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/a...&current=5.jpg
Anyone have a theory of what causing it and what exactly I need to do
about it?
Thanks in advance.
Rick

posted to rec.boats.building

I'm not sure if the url in the OP is the right one or not.
Maybe I was supposed to post this one.
http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Seas%20Skiff/

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:32:52 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
[...]

..-SNIP!-
Anyone have a theory of what causing it and what exactly I need to do
about it?
Thanks in advance.
Rick

posted to rec.boats.building

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Why sweat it?

Good point.
Frankly, I'm more curious about it than bothered by it.
I have two skiffs which is why I've never used this one. But I've
decided to sell the other one which is why I've just now taken renewed
interest in this one.
Rick

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:32:52 -0500, lid wrote:

[...]

I think your first problem is to determine whether that is gelcoat or
paint. It is impossible to determine in the pictures. From looking at
it is doesn't appear to be osmoses. If it is osmoses there will
generally be some blisters containing a liquid that smells much like
vinegar.

In one picture, the intersection of seat front and the bottom of the
boat there is a small area that looks like a section of whatever, the
gelcoat, glass gusset, paint, etc., Can you, perhaps prize that off
and determine what it is?

Cheers,

Bruce

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:27:38 +0700, bruceinbangkok wrote:
I think your first problem is to determine whether that is gelcoat or
paint. It is impossible to determine in the pictures. From looking at
it is doesn't appear to be osmoses. If it is osmoses there will
generally be some blisters containing a liquid that smells much like
vinegar.

In one picture, the intersection of seat front and the bottom of the
boat there is a small area that looks like a section of whatever, the
gelcoat, glass gusset, paint, etc., Can you, perhaps prize that off
and determine what it is?

Oh! .... uh .... -ahem-.... that's dirt .... assuming you're looking
at the close up of the front part of the middle seat.
The boat has been upright for a couple of months collecting oak tree
leaves, bird droppings, dirt, etc and I just swept up the leaves with
my hands and didn't wash the dirt off. I just now sponged that area
clean and will take another photo in an hour or two when the sun is
higher and isn't casting a shadow on half the shot.

On determining whether it's gel coat or paint, I'll try calling the
manufacturer next week. But for now, I've compared the flakes with
some exterior paint flakes coming off a wood house next door. They
appear to be the same thickness. But the house paint flakes are very
flexible and don't break when you bend them. They'll fold completely
over and back again easily. The flakes off the boat are brittle and
snap off when you bend them. Don't know if that means anything or not.
Also, the boat finish must have been applied in two applications.
Solid white first, then the gray speckles. Because only the top side
is speckled. The back side of the flake is solid white.

Whatever it is, the finishing method seems to be a standard in the
industry. Most of the small inexpensive skiffs I've seen (w/no inner
liner) use the same type finish.

One other thing, I'm thinking the hull and the seats were laid up
separately with two separate batches of resin, then the seats were
glassed into place, and lastly the paint (or gel coat) was sprayed on
the whole shebang. That would be another factor pointing to a resin
problem because, so far, the only peeling taking place is on the
seats. All three of them. But no indication of peeling on the hull's
interior so far (bottom or sides).

Anyhow, I'll post another photo (of a dirt free seat/bottom) a little
later today.

Thanks,
Rick

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:11:11 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
I just now sponged that area clean and will take another photo in an
hour or two when the sun is higher and isn't casting a shadow on half the shot.

Okay, three more shots posted. Two from different angles with the dirt
wiped off. Port side is still shadowed but not by much. And the
third shot is of some flakes. The three smaller ones on top are boat
flakes, two frontside and one backside. The larger flake on the bottom
is house paint.
http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Seas%20Skiff/
I know my photo skills aren't great and it's not much to go on. But
I'm looking directly at these flakes and I can't tell what's paint and
what's gel coat (if any).
Anyhow, I appreciate the replies.
Rick
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:41:32 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
I hadn't even thought about wax or anything else like that in the
resin. I guess that's possible.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:08:29 +0700, bruceinbangkok wrote:
Wax in polyester is used to allow seal the resin from the air to allow
the resin to harden without a sticky surface. If a getcoat is used as
the first layer in a lay up schedule there is no need for wax.
I haven't checked costs but I'd guess that the resin containing wax
might be a bit more expensive then the untreated stuff so logically a
factory would use "un-waxed" resin when using get-coat.

hmmm.... then it would make sense to use "un-waxed" resin for the hull
(hull definitely has a gel coat exterior) but wax in the resin for the
seats. The finish on the seats and interior hull are sprayed on after
they both came out of their respective molds. That would explain my
problem perfectly.
But it wouldn't explain why 1000 +/- other boats exactly like mine
aren't peeling too.... as far as I know.
But I do know a guy with a boat exactly like mine (a couple years
older) that I'll email to ask him how his boat finish is getting along
these days.
Thanks again,
Rick

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:14:27 -0500, lid wrote:

[...]

It is probable that the boat was built in a female mold by first
applying a coat of gel-coat and then laying up the glass. and that
portion would likely have been done with "un-waxes" polyester resin as
the gel-coat, which is essentially just polyester with pigment added,
hardens to a non-sticky finish. The polished surface of the mold
ensures that the outside of the boat will be smooth and shiny. So it
is logical to assume that the outside of the boat is gel-coated.

The inside could have been finished in several ways. It could have
been gel-coated after construction, which would have required
considerable sanding and polishing to obtain a finish as smooth as the
outside; it could have been finished by painting; or a combination of
the two.

For all practical purposes it doesn't make any difference as no matter
how you repair it is not going to effect the strength or length of
life of the boat in any appreciable way.

Without seeing anything except photos I would suggest that you grind
or sand the areas where the finish has failed until you reach a solid
surface, regardless of what the material is. Then if you are worried
about the fiberglass absorbing water, you can paint on one or two
coats of activated epoxy resin. Finish by applying two coats of high
build epoxy primer, sand, do any minor fairing with epoxy or polyester
filler, and finally spray on two coats of two parts polyurethane.

If you want the boat to "look like new" do the entire inside, which
will be a lot of work; if you don't care just do the damaged areas.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:18:46 +0700, bruceinbangkok wrote:
Without seeing anything except photos I would suggest that you grind
or sand the areas where the finish has failed until you reach a solid
surface, regardless of what the material is. Then if you are worried
about the fiberglass absorbing water, you can paint on one or two
coats of activated epoxy resin. Finish by applying two coats of high
build epoxy primer, sand, do any minor fairing with epoxy or polyester
filler, and finally spray on two coats of two parts polyurethane.

Sounds like a plan.
I'll probably just do the seats for now. They won't match the bottom
and sides exactly but I think I can make it look ok. And hopefully it
won't peel off again.
Thanks y'all :-)
Rick

Surface Moistures and Epoxy Beardow T & P Boat Building 6 September 25th 07 01:42 AM
gunnel surface Jim Gemmill General 3 May 15th 06 03:34 PM
refinishing kayak surface James F. Aguiar Touring 5 September 24th 04 12:49 AM
Inflateable surface deterioration ?? Steve Cruising 2 August 23rd 04 04:10 PM
Surface Drive Project [email protected] Boat Building 3 September 19th 03 05:04 AM